Monday, March 3, 2014

Broad Street 2014 Training, Week 5

Monday, March 3rd:

3:15pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

6.5mi (50:40) (7:48/mi)

Finally feels like I have turned the corner with the achilles (knock wood).  Felt absolutely 100% today.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if my treadmill was incorrectly calibrated too slow because today felt way too easy - but I'll take it.  Did a random progression from 7.0-8.0mph up until the last mile, which was a fartlek of 8.0/9.0/10.0mph at 1:30/:15/:15 increments.  Threw in one :15 increment at 11.0mph just to really open up.  Felt like I could have raced today if I wanted - just felt so good.  Tomorrow will be my 6th easy day back, and then maybe Wednesday I'll start off with a light, moderate 30 minute fartlek to re-introduce quality training again.

Tuesday, March 4th:

7:45pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

5.5mi (43:51) (7:59/mi): including 4x strides (9.0/10.0mph)

A little bit of tightness in my upper soleus/lower calf tonight, but nothing serious.  Got some good stretching and strengthening exercises in afterward.  Looks like the weather should take a turn for the better by the end of the week - I think getting back outside on a more regular basis will do my body some good.

Wednesday, March 5th:

5:40pm/6:30pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

2mi warmup (16:20) (8:10/mi), 2mi cooldown (15:53) (7:57/mi)

6:00pm, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Adidas Adios Boost.

4mi (25:26) (6:21/mi): Fartlek workout as 1:00 each at 8.0/9.0/10.0/11.0mph repeated 6+ times.  Corresponding paces of (7:30/6:40/6:00/5:27) equate to roughly easy/moderate/threshold/interval paces.

I think I have a new favorite workout!  I loved the constant changing of pace.  The average tempo pace overall was roughly marathon pace, but getting to work in the 4 zones on a continuous loop was actually a lot fun, made the workout go by quickly, and actually started making ALL of the paces feel easier as the workout went on.  This style of workout is a great way to get some turnover going without running yourself into the ground.  Might have to use it more often for indoor days in the future (although hopefully there won't be many of those left!).

Thursday, March 6th:

5:30pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

7mi (55:59) (8:00/mi): random progression from 7.0-7.9mph

I woke up with a little bit of a stiff ankle but everything seemed to loosen up tonight once I got moving, and I got stronger and stronger as the run progressed.  Scheduled another short massage session for tomorrow morning to see if that will help shake things once and for all so it is completely out of my consciousness.  I feel fine when running now, but I am still thinking about my ankle during the day.  No matter what, I definitely know I am moving in the right direction.

Friday, March 7th:

5:55am, Treadmill, 1.0%.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

4.5mi (37:00) (8:13/mi): with 6x :20 strides (9.0/10.0/11.0mph)

Felt great to run at a very easy recovery pace this morning.  Most of the running was done around 8:20-:30mi pace, with the increasingly faster strides bringing the overall average down.

Saturday, March 8th:

5:55am, 33 degrees, 80%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  Saucony Cortana 3.

13mi total (1:36:12): 9mi easy (7:48/mi) followed by 4x 3:00 "on"/3:00 "off"
"on" segment paces: 6:08 5:58 6:01 5:46
"off" segment paces: 7:08 7:01 6:58 7:04

Kind of another up and down day with the ankle.  Had a great massage session yesterday where I left the office feeling like a million dollars.  No pain or limitations with range of motion whatsoever.  It was a little stiff when I woke up this morning but then it seemed to loosen up the first 3-4 easy miles.  Had one patch around 5.5mi where it felt like it might flare up but it then passed.  Was aware of it but didn't get worse during the fartlek portion of the workout.  Really seemed to stiffen up about 90 minutes after the workout.  What seems to help it most are eccentric stretching (calf stretches on a stair, for example) and aggressively using the lacrosse ball on my plantar fascia.  What's crazy is it doesn't seem to be affecting my running too much - in fact, I was really shocked I could run those fartlek paces at the effort level I did.

I feel like I am doing just about everything possible I can to manage it, but just when I think it's completely gone, it comes back again.  The good news is it doesn't seem to be getting worse.  If I can continue to manage the symptoms while training and I feel like I am moving in the right direction, I will keep moving forward as planned.  But if I feel it is getting worse and I am risking a bigger injury, I will pull the plug again and give it some extra time to heal.  Ironically, it feels the best when I seem to give it blood flow, so I think running is actually doing it more good than harm.  Time will tell, I just wish it would pass already.

5:40pm, 53 degrees, 40%, 10mph.  Neighborhood.  New Balance 1260v2.

2.5mi (21:10) (8:28/mi)

Easy progressive shakeout run to try to loosen things up.  Tight for the first 1/2mi, felt really good after that.  As I said earlier, right now running doesn't seem to be making things worse.  It actually feels the best about 1 or 2mi into each run.  Will continue to massage and roll.

Sunday, March 8th:

Off.  More explanation to follow.

Weekly Total: 47 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment