Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer Base Training, Week 6

Monday, June 17th:

5:35am, 68 degrees, 90%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

7mi slow - (NW)

Woke up tight, lethargic, and highly unmotivated.  Worked my way through a slow jogfest.  At least I finished the last mile with a positive mindset.

Tuesday, June 18th:

Off.  Tired.

Wednesday, June 19th:

5:20am, 62 degrees, 85%, 5-10mph.  2x CHW Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

8mi total (7:27) - 2mi warmup,  14x 1:00on/1:00off, 2mi cooldown
On paces: 6:19-5:19
Off paces: 8:42-7:59

Felt pretty solid today.  The last 4 "on" segments were all in the 5:35-5:19 range as I focused on form.  Maintained the same paces despite shortening the recoveries from the last time I did this workout two weeks ago.

Thursday, June 20th:

4:55am, 59 degrees, 85%, calm.  Garden State-Grove-Maple-Garden State.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi easy - (NW)

My right glute was noticeably tight during the run today.  Didn't affect my stride or impair my running - in fact, I had lots of energy today and was able to open up a little the last couple miles.  Will focus on stretching more the next few days.

Friday, June 21st:

5:30am, 60 degrees, 80%, calm.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

12mi total - (7:10, JP's watch): 6mi easy @ 7:43/mi, 6mi marathon effort @ 6:37/mi

Absolute gorgeous first morning of summer.  Ran with MDRP group and felt great.  Didn't wear a watch - just ran with the group's easy pace and according to JP's commands on the tempo segment.  Felt relaxed and very in control the whole way.  Great sense of freedom not looking at a watch on a run like today.  Really allowed me to relax and focus on form.

Saturday, June 22nd:

6:30am, 63 degrees, 85%, calm.  Moorestown. Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

8m easy - (NW)

Faster easy run with Tom and Colleen.  Practiced running taller with better posture to open up my breathing.  Stayed relaxed despite the quicker tempo.  I was surprised at how much more natural everything felt just by focusing on posture.

Sunday, June 23rd:

6:00am, 70 degrees, 80%, calm.  Manayunk-Philly Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

8mi total - (7:42): with 3 hills hard: Falls Road hill 1km@6:33 pace, Belmont Ave hill .25mi@6:08 pace, The Wall in Manayunk .75mi@6:58 pace.

Not for the weak of heart.  The entire run was at an easy pace save for the 3 hills.  But man those hills were monsters!  The Wall, especially, is no joke.  I was this close to walking at one point, but I fought hard all the way to Ridge Ave.  There were also two monster downhill sections on the course, which really got the turnover going and gave my quads some extra pounding.  I then rode my bike for about 15 miles afterward pacing the group for their long run on Forbidden Drive.  Got some extra glute and core work in by using all my stabilizing muscles on the gravelly trails.  Overall, quite a day of training.

Weekly Total: 50 miles

Next week is technically week 1 of the 12 week Philly Distance Run cycle.  My fitness is where I want it to be.  I don't have any formal workouts this week and that's probably a good thing since we are getting a suffocating heatwave over the next 4 days.  But I must admit I am chomping at the bit to get on the track and start the speedwork soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment