Saturday, June 22, 2013

My First Visit with a Sports Chiropractor

At the recommendation of my coach, Larry Friedman, I visited a sports chiropractor, Shane McCann, yesterday for the first time.  The 1 hour session was enlightening and very informative.  After putting me through a series of physical movements and tests, Shane confirmed my weak/tight areas (glutes and soleus) and gave me exercises to help strengthen them.  He opened my eyes to the wonders of a $2.99 lacrosse ball.  I learned that sitting in a chair with poor posture for long periods of time will negatively impact my running.  Just by running "taller" with better posture, strengthened glutes and more relaxed calves/glutes/plantar fascia, I could expect to improve my running economy up to 3% alone.  Stretching bands, foam roller, and lacrosse ball here I come!

3 comments:

  1. It was a good decision to follow the advice of your coach. If you want continue your love for sports, then you must be proactive in your recovery. With chiropractic care, you'll need to take no medicine; just therapy to bring back the condition of your body. Continue this even after you have recovered from your injury, Casey!

    -Waylon Buser @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running may help in keeping fit but it does take a toll on the body as well. So going to a chiropractor was a great decision. Not only do those tips and sessions help in getting you into better shape, but they also help your body to recover. -Mark @ Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you're a sport enthusiast, you should also know how to take care of your wellness. And just because you're physically active doesn't mean you're free from any pains. In fact, you're more prone to injury. I wish you're fully recovered now.

    Shan @Brandon Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete