Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer Base Training, Week 5

Monday, June 10th:

8:10pm, 75 degrees, 85%, 5-10mph.  3x Neighborhood Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

6mi easy - (7:56): including 4x100m fast strides after (5:00/mi pace)

Started slow and let each mile get progressively faster.  Felt like I was holding back the entire run.  It felt great to let loose on the strides.  I feel my speed returning quickly.  As long as the weather holds out for tomorrow night's Cooper River Run, I am excited to see what I can run for a hard tempo.

Tuesday, June 11th:

6:20pm, 80 degrees, 60%, 15-25mph.  Cooper River.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

8mi total - (6:50): 2mi warmup, 2x.25miT (6:00/mi), 3.6mi race in 20:54 (5:48/mi), 1.7mi cooldown
Race splits: 5:42 48 6:00 5:42

Ran much faster than I thought my fitness or the weather indicated.  I wore a watch but didn't monitor splits - just ran on feel and focused on competing with the guy who paced me practically the whole way.  We had a tailwind the first 3/4mi, a headwind from 1mi-2.7mi, and then a nice tailwind for about the last 3/4mi.  I held onto the race leader until about 1/2km to go, when he started putting some distance on me.  I could have dug down a little deeper to make it more interesting, but he was clearly fitter than I was today and I was very happy with just busting some rust for my first hard effort.  I'll save the red-line competition for later in the season.  All in all, I was very pleased.

Wednesday, June 12th:

8:15pm, 78 degrees, 40%, 0-5mph.  Garden State-Grove-Maple-Grove-Garden State.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi recovery - (8:24)

Very, very slow.  Very, very sore.  I was sore in places I completely forgot about.  Looking forward to tomorrow's rest day.

Thursday, June 13th:

Rest.  Good timing, looked like armageddon outside today!

Friday, June 14th:

5:30am, 57 degrees, 85%, 10-20mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

9mi total - (8:13): 6.5mi with John Stelmaski ~8:30/mi pace, 2.5mi with Tom Elliott ~7:30/mi pace

Cooler, blustery morning.  Light rain to start.  Felt nice to run easy with John and then open up a little bit more with Tom at the end.  Unplanned to pace it that way, but it worked out nicely.

Saturday, June 15th:

5:45am, 59 degrees, 90%, calm.  Haddonfield.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

8.5mi total - 2mi warmup, 8xTriple Hill hard (~:45 sec) w/3:30 recovery jogs, 2mi cooldown
Splits: 45.0, 44.8, 44.8, 45.0, 45.4, 44.1, 44.2, 41.9

No way to disguise it -- running up a hill hard repeatedly isn't fun, but it sure whips you into shape!  I really went to my arms on the last couple reps, and just blasted the last one as hard as I could.  Made sure to really take it easy on the recoveries so I could hit each rep hard.  Very slow on the cooldown.  I imagine I will feel a little sore tomorrow. :)

Sunday, June 16th:

7:30am, 65 degrees, 75%, calm.  Haddonfield.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

7.5mi - (7:30)

Nice run with Denning and Mickey this morning.  We talked about training the entire way and the run just flew by.  Surprised I was able to handle the fast end of easy pace so well after yesterday's hill workout and yardwork.  Still, I plan on taking it a little easier tomorrow.

Weekly Total: 46 miles

Rounding into shape nicely.  Very pleased with Tuesday's race and yesterday's hill workout.  I definitely feel like I am ready for the formal workouts that will start in couple weeks - now it's just being patient and not getting ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment