Monday, June 24, 2013

Philadelphia Distance Run Training, Week 1

Monday, June 24th:

5:55am, 73 degrees, 90%, 5-10mph.  Kilmer Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

6mi easy - (NW)

Very warm and humid this morning.  Took it nice and easy, especially after yesterday's killer hill session and bike ride.  I have found that my new habit of "running tall" really helps me breathe easier and maintain a more proper form.

Tuesday, June 25th:

Off.  Tired, no energy.

Wednesday, June 26th:

5:00am, 70 degrees, 80%, 0-5mph.  Hialeah-Kilmer-Hialeah.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

8mi total - (7:18): 2mi warmup, 4x5:00 hard (6:02-:08/mi pace), 2mi cooldown

Just didn't have it today.  Felt like I was overheating and working too hard the entire session.  Definitely have a long way to go before 6:05/mi pace feels comfortable for 13.1mi.  Luckily I have lots of time.

Thursday, June 27th:

5:00am, 72 degrees, 95%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

7mi - (NW)

Felt much better than yesterday, but still very, very heavy air to breathe.  Feels like running in a furnace!

Friday, June 28th:

6:30am, 74 degrees, 90%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

8mi total - (NW): wu, 4x strides, 7mi easy, 4x strides

I am not sure if it was the light warmup, the running with the group, or just finally getting acclimated to the heat, but today I felt great.  Felt really strong the last few miles and really opened up on the strides after.

Saturday, June 29th:

6:15am, 70 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

11mi total - (7:50):  2:00 easy jog, 4x strides, 7mi easy, 10x Stanwick Hill (:29-:26 secs) w/full jog recoveries (1:40-:45), 1.5mi cooldown

Much, much better workout today than Wednesday.  The seven miles flew by with the company of Mike, Rich, and Jamie.  Kept an honest easy pace (7:45ish) during this segment.  The hill repeats were fast @ 1500m race pace, all in the :28-:29 range, and I blasted the last one all-out in :26 (4:29/mi pace!).  Took the cooldown very slow, but felt recovered by the time I was done.  Also enjoyed my first ice bath of the season. 

Sunday, June 30th:

5:40am, 75 degrees, 95%, calm.  2x Cooper River Loop +.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

8mi recovery - (8:14)

Felt lousy the first couple miles.  Very humid again.  Suddenly, around 4 miles my stride and rhythm just clicked.  Kept my feet low the ground, held an image in my mind of "feeling the ground" with my feet, practiced a strong pushoff and fast turnover.  Even though I wasn't moving terribly fast, the effort became much, much easier and felt way more economical.

Weekly Total: 48 miles

The weather was tough this week.  Wasn't happy with Wednesday's workout but I know the weather played a major factor.  Took me until yesterday to feel like I was getting acclimated to the heat/humidity.  On the other hand, I was very happy with yesterday's hill repeats.  I know the speed is there.  My first date with the track on Tuesday - I am already thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment