Monday, March 25, 2013

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 14

Monday, March 25th:

5:40 am, 37 degrees, 70%, 0-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (M).  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

6mi recovery - (8:18)

I think I was sleepwalking the first 2-3 miles.  At least the last 2 miles felt really good.  And I got the run in before what looks to be the last snowfall of the season (at least it better be!).

Tuesday, March 26th:

4:40 am, 35 degrees, 85%, 5-10mph.  3x CHW Loop + CH Blvd-Hialeah.

11mi total - (7:16): 2mi warmup, 2x3mi w/1mi recovery jog (6:32/26/24, 8:07, 6:28/26/25), 2mi cooldown

Felt pretty solid for the workout all things considered.  The recovery seemed generous, but I was happy to oblige.  Didn't really tighten up until the start of the last tempo mile, but that included an uphill and downhill segment so I actually finished on the downhill feeling recovered.  They don't always feel great, but I know these workouts are making me stronger.

Wednesday, March 27th:

5:00 am, 39 degrees, 70%, 0-5mph.  Grove-Maple-Grove-Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi easy - (8:01)

Didn't look at my watch the entire run.  Ran completely by feel and felt terrific the entire run.  First easy run in a couple weeks where I felt completely smooth and relaxed.

Thursday, March 28th:

7:50 pm, 47 degrees, 40%, 10mph.  Hialeah-Kilmer-Hialeah.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

8mi easy - (7:47)

Felt ridiculously strong this evening.  I had to hold back the entire run, knowing I have a long tempo workout planned for tomorrow.  I finally feel my legs coming back under me after Caesar Rodney.  I can't say enough how great it feels to find that groove again.

Friday, March 29th:

6:15 am, 40 degrees, 60%, 5mph.  Haddonfield (including 2x Tavistock Loop for tempo).  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

15mi total - (7:11): 3mi warmup, 3x (2.5miMP/.5miHMP), 3mi cooldown
Target paces: 6:40/6:15
Actual paces: 6:38/6:16(including Greenmount), 6:39/6:15, 6:36/6:12(including Triple Hill)

Easily my strongest solo tempo run of this cycle.  The weather was absolutely perfect.  I started with an easy 3 miles (8:24/mi) and then took some Gatorade/Gu right before I started the tempo.  Took another Gatorade 4.75mi into the tempo, and another Gu 6.5mi into the tempo.  I just kept getting stronger and stronger as the run progressed.  I handled all of the hills with ease, even the ones that popped up on the first and third HMP segments.  I think it also helped that I kept the Garmin set on Lap pace, so it gave me a running MP for the 2.5mi segments instead of the individual miles.  It kept me from looking at my watch very often and allowed me to settle into a steady overall rhythm, rather than panic if I were too fast or too slow for any given mile.  After finishing the tempo, I took some more Gatorade and then jogged an easy 3 miles (7:50/mi), which literally felt like I was walking.  Great, great running today.

Saturday, March 30th:

7:30 am, 38-40 degrees, 70%, calm.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

11mi easy - (7:31): including 3 x 100m strides after

Felt surprisingly fresh and strong after yesterday's workout.  Kept a relaxed, conversational pace with Denning.  The run today just seemed to fly by - it was truly a beautiful morning.

Sunday, March 31st:

7:25 am, 40-43 degrees, 70%, 0-5mph.  Kelly Drive Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8.5mi easy - (8:07)

Absolutely beautiful Easter morning.  Super casual run with Ashley around the Schuylkill.  Truly felt like we were walking, that's how easy it felt.  Great cap to another solid week.

Weekly Total: 66.5 miles

4 weeks to go!  I am really starting to gain more and more confidence.  This coming week is the last real gut check with 3 heavy-duty SOS sessions (3x2 mi, 10MP, 17 steady).  I am ready for the challenge and ready for what lies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment