Monday, March 18, 2013

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 13

Monday, March 18th:

Rest.

Tuesday, March 19th:

Day off.  Chose sleep over running today.  Lacked any motivation whatsoever to head out the door.  Not sure what brought this sudden funk on, as I felt it all day yesterday also, but it's like I had no desire to run at all - like it was completely foreign to me.  The strange thing is, my body feels phenomenally strong after Sunday's race, with no real muscle tightness or soreness of any kind.  Let's see if I can muster up some motivation tomorrow.

Wednesday, March 20th:

7:45 pm, 42 degrees, 45%, 5-15mph.  Hialeah-Valley Run-Kilmer-Hialeah-Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

10mi easy - (7:55)

Despite their lack of soreness or tightness, my legs felt very heavy tonight.  At times it felt like the last 10 miles of a marathon.  I am sure the half marathon took more out of me than I realized, which probably accounts for part of the funk I have been in the past couple days.  At least I am back on the saddle and all systems go again.

Thursday, March 21st:

3:45 pm, 38 degrees, 40%, 5-15mph.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  Brooks Ravenna 3.

8mi easy - (7:45): including 7x100m strides after

Got home from work early so I got to enjoy a rare afternoon run.  Not sure why but I developed some side stitches on both sides at various times during the run.  While I maintained very consistent splits, the effort still didn't seem as easy as it should, but the strides afterward felt fast and controlled.  Kind of a rough week on the home front, so I am just glad right now to be logging the miles any way I can get them.  We'll see if I feel up for a moderate long run tomorrow, or if I just wait for Sunday's MP workout to re-introduce some quality.

Friday, March 22nd:

5:00 am, 30 degrees, 50%, 10-15mph (gusty).  MRC-Merchantville-Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

15mi easy - (7:53): last 4 miles steady (7:07 10 07 10)

Ugly headwinds for the first 6+ miles of the run.  Got a nice tailwind on the way back.  Paced Larry's group for their MP workout, then added on at the end at a faster pace.  Felt much better overall than earlier in the week.  Took a Gu at 6.5mi, and Gatorade at 8mi and 12.5mi.

Saturday, March 23rd:

8:00 am, 34 degrees, 60%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8.75mi recovery - (8:14)

Very nice easy run with some of the MDRP gang in celebration of Joe Halin's wedding later today.  Got 3+ miles in by myself early around 7:50/mi pace, then ran mostly 8:30ish/mi pace with the group.  It was great seeing Tom Elliott out for a run again - I have really missed his company this winter.

Sunday, March 24th:

6:50 am, 32-35 degrees, 60%, 0-5mph.  Haddonfield, including 2x Long Tavistock Loop for tempo segment.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

14.25mi total - (7:12): 2.5mi warmup, 9mi @ MP, 2.75mi cooldown

Target splits: 6:40/mi
Actual splits: 6:47 41 33 33 34 35 36 44 38

Beautifully executed workout on a cool and crisp yet sunny and windless morning.  Took a couple easy miles to feel loose, and the first two MP miles didn't feel quite as easy as I would have liked, but then I just locked into a great rhythm and gathered strength with each hill and each mile.  Added bonus, I ran into Mickey and Rob just as I finished my workout and started the cooldown, so I had some company for the easy recovery miles after.  Finished feeling fantastic.

Weekly Total: 56 miles

Though I missed some extra time early in the week, I am really happy with the volume and quality I still managed to get into five days.  Obviously, having to put Jack down on Friday took a lot of mental energy out of me earlier in the week, but then I kind of regained my sense of purpose in training and was able to refocus.  Having the positive energy of Joe's wedding and Tom's party really helped also.  I am now ready for the final 3-4 week push before the taper!


No comments:

Post a Comment