Monday, April 1, 2013

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 15

Monday, April 1st:

8:35am, 50-55 degrees, 70%, 5-10mph.  Pennypacker Park-2x Cooper River-Pennypacker Park.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

11mi total - (7:01): 2mi warmup, 3x2mi w/0.5mi easy, 2mi cooldown

Target paces: 6:20-:25
Actual paces: 6:20/19, 6:20/17, 6:15/14

Just felt like a machine.  I keep saying this lately, but the weather was drop-dead gorgeous today!  Slight breeze, flat course around Cooper River, just locked in immediately and had to slow myself down from wanting more and more.  It was indescribably effortless today.  I am stunned that my average pace for the 7 miles of the workout (including the recoveries) was 6:29/mi, because when I finished I had TONS left in reserve.  It's so great a feeling to be this far into a cycle and feel like I am getting massively stronger on a weekly and daily basis.

Tuesday, April 2nd:

7:50pm, 43 degrees, 25%, 5-15mph.  Grove-Lake-Haddon-Maple-Grove-Garden State.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8mi easy - (8:02)

Ran completely based on feel without checking my watch once.  Felt completely relaxed and smooth the entire way.  I feel like I can run forever right now, like I just can't get tired.  Still, I am using discipline and honoring tomorrow's rest day.  Still some big running to do later in the week.

Wednesday, April 3rd:

Rest.

Thursday, April 4th:

3:45 pm, 52 degrees, 30%, 10-15mph.  Weaving Chapel Ave Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8mi easy - (7:50)

Ran a new route today, which was a winding, weaving version of the Chapel Ave route I normally do. Pretty much did a circuit of Chapel to Valley Run but I stuck to the back roads.  Legs felt a little heavy after the day off yesterday, but my pace and rhythm were very consistent.

Friday, April 5th:

9:00am, 43-53 degrees, 60%, 0-10mph.  Haddonfield, including 2x Long Tavistock Loop for tempo.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

15mi total - (7:08): 2.5mi warmup, 10MP 6:37/mi avg (6:42 41 36 29 35 36 37 36 33 39), 2.5mi cooldown

Mixed feelings about this one.  Ran a great overall average for the tempo and did it by myself.  However I am upset that I didn't hold back as much as I should have the first 5 miles, which seemed to affect me around mile 8, when the effort became slightly harder and I could feel my legs slowly start to tighten up.  Part of it came from the pace, but I think part of it also came from not properly fueling, especially with the temps climbing rather quickly this morning.  I took a Gu just before starting the warmup, and another one 6.5mi into the workout (mile 4 of the tempo).  I took about 4oz of Gatorade just after the warmup (2.5mi), and again 7.5mi into the workout (mile 5 of the tempo).  I took everything in great and felt fantastic immediately following all fueling.  But about 3 miles later, when I would normally take in more Gatorade during a marathon, I started to feel the effects of the workout.  Two valuable lessons to learn from this one - 1) it is important to start ultraconservative when running at marathon pace effort, 2) it is important to fuel your systems properly to stay fully hydrated.  Having said all that, I am pleased to know that I can still maintain this pace somewhat comfortably by myself for 10 miles in the middle of training.

Saturday, April 6th:

6:00am, 38 degrees, 50%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8mi easy - (8:00)

Super relaxed group run with Tom, John, and Colleen.  Started at the slow end of easy pace (8:40/mi) and we gradually worked our way down to the fast end of easy pace (7:40/mi).  It was nice just hanging in a pack again and letting the run fly by.

Sunday, April 7th:

6:45am, 42-47 degrees, 65%, 0-10mph.  Forbidden Drive.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

17mi total - (7:13): 1mi warmup, 15mi steady (7:07/mi avg), 1mi cooldown
Splits: 8:14 7:23 17 01 07 04 08 08 32 6:59 57 53 7:00 08 02 02 50

Spectacular moderate long run with Denning.  Had Mickey and Rob keep us company the first few miles, and then John and I just kept grooving it from there.  The "slow" mile in the middle was on a very rocky, technical part of a trail with tricky footing.  Aside from that, we just kept rolling along with the course and clicking off comfortably quick miles.  Over two hours on my feet at the end of a big week, and still had plenty in reserves when I finished.  A nice confidence builder.

Weekly Total: 67 miles

I couldn't be happier with where I am at with 3 weeks to go.  Now it is just keeping my easy runs very easy, resisting the urge to run too hard, hitting a couple more solid workouts, and then mentally preparing for the big day.  I also scheduled one last massage session with Holli for next Sunday to work out any hidden tightness or trouble areas before the taper.  The countdown has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment