Monday, November 5, 2012

Base Training, Week 8

Monday, November 5th:

5:15 am, 40 degrees, 60%, 0-5mph.  Cherry Hill West and back.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

8k recovery - 5:17 (5:23, 5:20-:10, 5:13)
~5 mi recovery - 8:30 average

First early morning run on a work day in a long time.  I don't miss these kinds of days.  It was a chore to get out of bed, but once I got moving it wasn't so bad.  I think I overdressed a little thinking it would be colder, but I survived.  Now for a long day of work - ugh.

Tuesday, November 6th:

7:20 pm, 40 degrees, 50%, 0-5mph.  3x Neighborhood Loop.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

10k workout - 2k warmup, 5x (3:00 "on"/2:00 "off), 2.3k cooldown
~6.2 mi total

My first introduction to "speedwork" beyond strides.  The "on" paces were between 6:43-:03/mi pace.  The "off" paces were between 8:45-:20/mi pace.  Progressively got faster each "on" split, just stayed focused and relaxed and let it happen.  Felt great on the cooldown.

Wednesday, November 7th:

6:30 pm, 34 degrees, 90%, 20-30mph.  Cherry Hill West and back.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

8k easy - BOF 5:03 (5:13-4:56)
~5 mi easy - 8:07 average

Nasty, brutal conditions this evening.  Rain, wet snow, gusty.  Just kept moving one foot in front of the other until I was finished.  Took a funny step on my right foot at one point and felt a twinge at the top of my right hamstring.  It instantly went away, and I stretched well after when I was done, but will monitor to see if it re-occurs at all.  Very odd.  Good news is, the left shin finally feels fine.

Thursday, November 8th:

8:40 am, 42 degrees, 40%, 10-25mph.  Started at Knollwood.  Kilmer-Hialeah-Valley Run loop.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

11k easy - BOF 4:48 (5:13, 5:00-4:35, 4:33)
~6.8 mi easy - 7:43 average

Very gusty conditions again for the first half, but at least it wasn't raining snow today.  Sun was out, worked my way into a nice rhythm the second half, and handled the rolling hills nicely.  No hamstring issues today - I think it was just tight in the cold weather last night, and I may have been perhaps a little dehydrated.  Did some good stretching after the run today and everything felt great.

Friday, November 9th:

9:00 am, 40 degrees, 60%, 10-15mph.  Haddonfield.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

8k total - easy warm up, 6x triple hill hard (225m in :46-47) w/ full recovery, easy cool down
~5 mi total - 8:10 overall average, with hills run at 5:37-:52 mi/pace

Wow.  My lungs haven't burned that badly in a LONG time, but man did it feel glorious.  Rounding out the top of each hill was tough, but I managed.  Considering how fast the paces were, I think the workout went much better than I expected.

Saturday, November 10th:

6:55 am, 37 degrees, 80%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

8k recovery - 5:16 (5:27-:05)
~5 mi recovery - 8:28 average

Forced myself to run slow today after yesterday's hill workout and before tomorrow's long run.  Legs felt a bit heavy toward the end from the slow pace, but breathing was very easy and I didn't have to think much once I locked into the pace.  A clock in and clock out kind of run.

Sunday, November 11th:

7:00 am, 43-50 degrees, 90%, calm.  Haddonfield.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

17k easy - BOF 4:43 (5:02, 4:48-:31, 4:43)
~10.6 mi - 7:35 average

Felt very strong from the first step.  Nice having Jason and John's company - time just flew by.  Practiced taken a Gu with water around 10k mark, which went down smoothly.  Had tons of running in me at the end, but was just holding a steady easy pace.  Great long run.

Weekly Total: 70km (~43.5 mi)

Fantastic week comprised of seven full days of running.  The two "workouts" went better than expected, and my long run today felt terrific.  Aside from the one day of nasty weather, couldn't ask for a much better week.  Already feeling the strength returning on my long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment