Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Winter Base Training, Week 3

Saturday, December 17th:

6:00 am, 34 degrees, 65%, 0-5mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 28.

3m easy

So after yesterday's awesome massage therapy session, I thought I would give my non-achy IT band a test drive.  Went well.  No tightness in the IT band itself, just a little soreness directly below the knee - quite possibly because my legs went through a lot of extended range of motion yesterday.  Wasn't fast at all (no Garmin since I knew the distance of the route), just an easy jog, but felt smooth on the roads for the first time in weeks - not clunky and discombobulated.  A good sign.

Sunday, December 18th:

8:30 am, 26 degrees, 50%, 5-15mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 28.

5m easy

Even better than yesterday.  I implemented a change in posture today known as the POSE method, a running style best described as "falling forward," and I noticeably reduced the pounding on my legs and the force of my foot strikes.  I think bad habits and lingering aches over the summer forced me away from running in this manner, because as soon as I started today it felt totally natural.  My hips weren't out of whack, my IT band symptoms were completely gone, and my effort was much easier.

Monday, December 19th:

5:45 am, 24 degrees, 85%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Pegasus 28.

5m easy

Felt great again despite the chill.  I really feel my legs coming back to me.  First time I felt totally natural as a runner since the marathon.  No lingering aches of any kind - heel has been fine, IT band gone, knee aches gone.  And I gotta say, not wearing the Garmin has been a godsend.  I know when I feel good and how slow I need to go - I don't need a watch to tell me.  I think the plan will be whenever I am running a route that I know the distance, I won't wear the Garmin.  It's just less complicated that way.

Tuesday, December 20th:

7:30 pm, 41 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Shopping run (Toys R Us, Target, Babies R Us, neighborhood loop).  Adidas Marathon 10 B

6m easy -7:56 average.

Had to wear the Garmin today because I wasn't sure how many stores I was going to hit and I had no concept of distance of the route.  Was in search of a plush Aurora doll that Frankie asked Santa for at the last minute and I figured I would kill two birds with one stone by shopping and running.  Ran a mile to TRU, took a 5 minute break scanning that mess, ran two miles to Target, again took a 5 minute break with no luck there, ran a 1/4 mile to BRU, 5 minute break with success, and then ran a mile back home and a 1 3/4 mile loop around the neighborhood.  Splits were very consistent (8:05-7:48 range), as was effort.  With all the breaks, I was actually on my feet for over an hour and it felt fine.  Feel like I should be knocking on wood as I write this, but I can finally say that I am back!

Wednesday, December 21st:

5:45 am, 41 degrees, 90%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  New Balance 890.

4m recovery

Can't believe how quickly it is all coming back.  Ran on a quick turnaround from last night to simulate the doubles that I will be starting in about a week or so - no ill effects whatsoever.  Minor niggles in my right  hip flexor and left heel but I think they are more from going through the motions again and adapting to the POSE method - both symptoms dissipated within 5 minutes of the start of the run.  Also learning how to keep my feet further back in the stride cycle again - just so much easier on the knees and feet.

Thursday, December 22nd:

5:00 pm, 53 degrees, 65%, calm.  Hialeah-Cooper Landing-Chapel Loop.  Nike Pegasus 28.

5m steady

Amazingly strong.  100% back.  Plus I ran in shorts.  In winter.  In New Jersey.  I am so confused.

Friday, December 23rd:

5:30 am, 48 degrees, 90%, 0-15mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

4m easy

Light rain.  Smoother and smoother each day.  Don't want this feeling to go away.

Saturday, December 24th:

6:10 am, 33 degrees, 65%, calm.  Church-Coles(L)-Maple(L)-Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 28.

7m easy - 7:46 average.

Explored a new route so I wore the Garmin but didn't check splits until after the run.  Amazingly metronome-like (8:05 7:48 46 44 47 42 31).  Still fresh after 8 days of running, but I will enjoy the day off for Christmas tomorrow.

Weekly Total (8 days): 39 miles

Great to finally be back!  Refreshing to know that I can give myself a 2-3 week break from no running (even when forced!) and get back on the saddle ready to ride.  Next week, I look forward to re-introducing several days of doubles.  Merry Christmas everyone (like anybody reads this besides me anyway!).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment