Saturday, December 10, 2011

Winter Base Training, Week 2

Monday, December 5th:

Day off.  Long day at work.  IT band very tight/sore.  At night, I tried some yoga stretches and icing.  Provided temporary relief, but no major improvement.

Tuesday, December 6th:


Day off.  IT band still sore and tight.  I am aware of it during the day at work, even just sitting and walking around.  Not particularly painful at all - maybe 4 on a scale of 10.  The yoga and stretching does seem to help open it up - just very gradually.

Wednesday, December 7th:

Day off.  Still recuperating.  I am surprised at this point that I don't really have a desire to rush back out on the roads.  I think my brain and body are actually on the same wavelength for once.  However long my IT band tells me to not run is how long I am going to not run.

Thursday, December 8th:

I finally have time to get to the store to buy a foam roller.  While the yoga and stretching have slowly opened up the IT band, the foam roller is like a godsend.  Really targets the tight areas and opens them up immediately.  I wasn't even aware of the IT band for several hours after using the roller.  May test the roads tomorrow.

Friday, December 9th:

1:25 pm, 50 degrees, 65%, 5-15mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 28.

2m rejuvenation pace - 8:33 average.

Did a foam roller session after lunch and then headed out for a very EASY run.  Took it super slow, focused on maintaining good form/posture, and was cognizant of my foot strike.  Kept waiting for the IT band to tighten up at some point but it never did.  Did another session of the foam roller and yoga afterward.  Cautiously optimistic that the tightness is starting to finally go away.  I do have some bruising along my left quad now, probably from working out the knots, so it's hard to tell which soreness is bruising of the muscle and which soreness is still coming from the IT band itself.

Saturday, December 10th:

6:30 am, 41 degrees, 60%, 0-5mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 28.

3m rejuvenation pace - 8:23 average.

Woke up with full range of motion.  Had to stay quiet as everybody else was still sleeping, so I just did some active stretching before the run and not the roller today.  I am not sure if it was the darkness, the bruising along my thigh, or just my over active imagination, but I was aware of my IT band the entire run.  Not soreness, not tightness per se, just aware as if I was waiting the whole time for something to happen.  I went a mile further than I did yesterday, so to me that's progress.  I was able to use the roller afterward and I did still have some tight spots along the IT band but not nearly as bad as before.  Felt good to work them out.  Will do some more of the rolling and stretching later today and see if I can make it 4 miles tomorrow.

Sunday, December 11th:

1:30 pm, 39 degrees, 40%, calm.  Neighborhood.  Nike Dual Fusion ST2

2m easy (BOF) - 7:19 average.

Well, I didn't make it four miles today, but I did run much faster and smoother than I have been running lately.  Love, love, love these new shoes - light, responsive, grip the road nicely, and best of all $47.99 after all my Kohl's card discounts.  Like yesterday, I was aware of the IT band, but it wasn't hurting per se.  I did an awful lot of yoga and stretching last night - about an hour's worth.  Went to bed feeling like I had been through a war.  When I got up, my leg felt dead - not painful, just like it had no energy left in it.  I think the faster running today actually helped it, and I am now able to incorporate some hamstring curls and leg extensions to try to strengthen the surrounding muscles.  Slowly but surely I am getting there.  Just wish I could settle into a familiar routine.  I definitely appreciate running more now that I can't do it as much as I want.

Weekly Total: 7 miles

What else is there to say?  As soon as the IT band feels normal again, I'll pick up the mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment