Monday, December 26, 2011

Winter Base Training, Week 4

Monday, December 26th:

6:10 am, 40 degrees, 60%, 0-10mph.  Chapel-Cooper Landing-Hialeah Loop.  Nike Pegasus 28.

5m easy

Got to test out one of my new Christmas gifts - a high beam headlamp.  Nice item to have on early AM or late PM runs - I can actually see all of the potholes now! :)


5:00 pm, 45 degrees, 50%, 0-10mph.  Church-Cole-Maple Loop.  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

4m steady

First double of the winter season.  Handled with ease.  Due to the high traffic volume on the day after Christmas, I navigated a few 10-15 second pickups to hit lights, avoid traffic, etc.  Felt very controlled and smoothed.  Feel like I can do more, but I am resisting the urge so that I can build up mileage properly/gradually.  Am also really liking these newer lightweight trainers - they grip the road nicely.

Tuesday, December 27th:

6:25 am, 37 degrees, 75%, 5mph.  Kilmer Loop.  Nike Lunarglide 3 Shield.

6m recovery

First really crappy run of the season.  Woke up with a sore throat, and just felt lethargic/tired the whole run.  I don't know if I like my new shoes or not.  I LOVE all of the reflective features, and they are very comfortable to put on and walk around in.  But there may be too bulky and pillowy for my tastes.  Then again, I felt terrible while running today, so I will wait to pass judgment on them until I day I feel 100%.

Wednesday, December 28th:

6:30 pm, 33 degrees, 50%, 15-25mph.  Chapel-Cooper Landing-Hialeah.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

5m easy

So I decided to return the Lunarglides and replace them with the Structures.  Very happy with my decision.  Same winter element protection with a much more stable foot strike.  And boy was it bitchin' cold out there tonight!

Thursday, December 29th:

5:15 am, 28 degrees, 45%, 0-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

5m easy

Didn't feel quite as cold as last night, as the winds weren't as bad.  Felt a bit lighter and smoother this morning also.

Friday, December 30th:

5:45 am, 32 degrees, 80%, calm.  Reverse Merchantville Loop.  Nike Pegasus 28.

6m steady, including 5x:20 strides at 5K pace at end of run

I knew it was going to be a good run when, about 30 seconds in, I saw my first shooting star in years!  Pace was steady 7:45-8:00, and strides afterward felt great.  Really opened up on the last two and felt smooth and in control.  Fitness coming along nicely.

Friday, December 30th:

4:30 pm, 52 degrees, 50%, 0-5mph.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

4m steady

Little quicker tempo than the AM, mostly due to some pickups due to traffic.  And have I mentioned enough how I REALLY like these lightweight trainers?  Still can't believe I got them on a pre-Christmas sale for $47.99 after sales/coupons!

Saturday, December 31st:

6:10 am, 47 degrees, 75%, 0-5mph.  Home-Tavistock(M)-Home.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

10.3m easy - 7:50 average.

Ended the year with a bang.  First long run since resuming training was very solid.  Let the pace come, focused on form the last 3.3m: 7:41 42 28 20.  Handled Tavistock hills very well.  Felt stronger as the run progressed.  Post-run treat: pancakes, eggs, and bacon!

Sunday, January 1st:

12:00 pm, 51 degrees, 65%, 5-10mph.  Scott Coffee Course from MRC.  Nike Pegasus 28.

5m+ moderate ~ 7:10/mi pace (per Denning).

First group run since the marathon felt super easy.  Surprised I was able to keep a brisker pace with relative ease, especially the day after my first 10 miler.  Even more surprising - got to run in shorts on the first day of the year.  That will change, however, with the Arctic Blast in the 3 day forecast!  At least I got to start the year off on a great note!


Weekly Total: 50 miles

Up and down weather this cycle, but mostly solid easy runs and getting my legs back under me.  Threw in some surges on a few runs, which felt controlled and manageable.  Doubles felt okay also.  Still a few twinges here and there with left IT band, but ibuprofen and stretching seem to keep it at bay.  More doubles and strides next week and then onto the fast stuff again!





No comments:

Post a Comment