Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer 2014 Base Training, Week 10

Monday, July 7th:

Rest.  Still have a mental and physical hangover from the weekend trip.  I think I should be ready to go by tomorrow, but I am not rushing things.

Tuesday, July 8th:

7:50pm, 90 degrees, 48%, 10-15mph.  Neighborhood Loop.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

2mi easy

Just wanted to get the legs loose and going again after a couple days off.  I finally feel recovered from the trip and look forward to getting back into a more routine schedule.

Wednesday, July 9th:

5:10am, 72 degrees, 88%, 5-10mph.  Home-CHW Track-Home.  Saucony Cortana 3.

7mi total, with 12x200m w/200m jog recoveries (:38-:39/1:07-:08)

Started off well but felt myself really starting to overheat on the last couple reps so I cut the planned 16x200m workout short by four reps.  Was really cooked on the cooldown.  At least I was happy that I was very consistent both with the reps and the recoveries.  This humidity is for the pits!

Thursday, July 10th:

5:45pm, 81 degrees, 53%, 5-10mph.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

6mi easy-medium

After a sluggish opening 1/4mi, I got a pep in my step and kept it going.  Tinkered with my form slightly by holding my hands a little higher and consciously practiced a faster, lower-to-the-ground footstrike.  Got into a great rhythm - guessing I was in the 7:15-:30/mi range for the second half of the run.  Felt great.

Friday, July 11th:

5:45am, 68 degrees, 81%, calm.  MRC - Maple Ave - MRC.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

8.5mi total, as 2:00 jog, 4x strides, 8mi easy

Honest conversational pace run with Rosie.  My new form once again feels so much better than before.  The time really flew by today - Rosie has such great positive energy.

10:05am, 79 degrees, 53%, 5-10mph.  Big Neighborhood Loop.  New Balance 1260v2.

2.5mi easy

Felt fine aside from some general soreness on my right kneecap the last mile or so.  Just realized these shoes have about 400 miles on them - I guess it's time to retire them.  I'll monitor the knee but I don't think it should amount to anything, especially after I take a dip in Al's pool later today.

Saturday, July 12th:

6:00am, 69 degrees, 84%, calm.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

10mi (70:30), including 8mi moderate (6:54/mi)

Good news is I got in some great moderate running today.  Had Steve/Jamie/Rosie setting the pace right in front of me for about four of the tempo miles before finishing the second half of the run on my own.  Had some moments of knee soreness during the run, but nothing that stopped me from running.

Bad news is my knee really flared up later in the morning.  I iced it, elevated it, took a short nap, but when I woke up it was really stiff and tender.  I purchased a knee strap to help take some of the pressure off of bending it, but I would imagine I will be laid up for a little while.  The literature on runner's knee says to do a lot of isolated straight leg lifts to help strengthen the quads, stretching of the hamstrings, calves, etc., and then doing as much pain-free running as possible to help with the re-alignment of the knee.  If I feel ANYTHING at all during a run I should stop.  Darn.  At this point I am just hoping to be able to start the marathon cycle without any hiccups.  So much for a pain-free, progressive buildup cycle.

Sunday, July 13th:

Rest.  I saw Holli this morning and she was able to work out a lot of trouble spots in my right IT band, hips, glutes, and most especially my neck.  She pretty much confirmed my entire body was jacked up from two 6+ hours car rides last weekend. 

Weekly Total: 36 miles

I imagine that I will be off running for at least the next several days until my knee clears up.  I will scale back my marathon training plans as need be, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.  Until then, it looks like a lot of straight-legged leg lifts, clam openers, and monster walks with my exercise bands.


No comments:

Post a Comment