Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer 2014 Base Training, Week 9

Monday, June 30th:

5:45am, 66 degrees, 89%, calm.  Chapel-Cooper Landing-CH Blvd-Hialeah.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

5mi very easy

Didn't run with a watch today because I knew it would be super slow.  Like 9:00/mi easy.  I actually felt pretty decent once I got moving but I don't think I could have run much faster today even if I wanted to.

Tuesday, July 1st:

Rest.

Wednesday, July 2nd:

Rest.  Too busy at work at too busy packing for the trip this weekend to fit running in the last two days.  Plus it's been bitchin' hot.  Figured it was better to save my energy for the 7 hours or so of driving I will be doing Thursday and Sunday!

Thursday, July 3rd:

4:50am, 73 degrees, 93%, 0-5mph.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

7.5mi easy (58:52) (7:51/mi).  Strides.

Nice easy progression run.  Despite the stifling humidity, every mile was faster than the previous one, starting at 8:28 and ending at 7:22.  The strides after felt fast and powerful.  I found out there is a 4 mile race tomorrow morning within a short drive of the hotel where we will be staying for my brother's wedding.  Looks like the weather should be decent so I might give it a go to test where my fitness is right now.  I guess I'll see how I feel after the long drive today. :)

Friday, July 4th:

7:35am, 60 degrees, 70%, 5-10mph.  Canfield, OH.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF, Adidas Adios Boost.

9mi, including 4mi race (23:09) (5:47/mi)

Beautiful morning.  Nice mostly residential rolling course.  I didn't race with a watch as I mostly wanted to focus on effort.  First two miles were mostly downhill/flat, so the leaders went out really fast and I found myself in a broken chase group.  Started picking people off from 1.0-2.5mi, at which point I was still feeling pretty decent, and if the rest of the race was a flat 5k, I probably would have run a pretty decent time (17:15-:20ish).
But instead there was a big long climb from 2.6-2.9mi which consumed a bunch of energy/momentum and I could feel the pace really start to lag.  I ran the last 1.5mi with another guy who had the third mile around 6:00, so I knew the time wouldn't be super fast.  Plus the last mile had a bunch of twists and turns so I never felt like I regained rhythm.  By the time I saw the finish clock, there was less than ten seconds left in the race so I didn't really have a chance to kick.  But for a rust buster on a tough unfamiliar course after a long day of travel, I'll take it.

Saturday, July 5th:

5:00am, 50 degrees, 84%, calm.  Boardman, OH (Mill Creek Trail).  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

11mi easy (1:27:03) (7:55/mi) with 3:17 last half mile.

I am sure I won't see another morning this nice until at least September.  Just gorgeous.  The trail system was a fully paved two lane road designed for bikers/walkers/runners very reminiscent of Forbidden Drive.  Rolling out-and-back course with lots of hills.  When I started it was still a little dark, so the first mile or so was cautiously slow.  Kept a pretty steady rhythm after that and then started to intentionally increase the tempo the last 1.5mi until I was holding MP "effort" the last half mile.  Legs were a little sore and heavy from yesterday, but I just couldn't pace up this type of run on a morning so gorgeous.

Sunday, July 6th:

Rest.  Exhausted from the wedding reception last night.  I think I got shin splints from dancing so much, haha.  After the six hour or so car ride home, all I want to do is eat and sleep.


Weekly Total: 32.5 miles


I knew with Anthony's wedding that this would be a down week without much structure.  I am happy I got in a solid rust-buster race and a medium long run.  I will give myself a few more easy days this week and then try to hit one more strong week before starting the marathon cycle on 7/21.



No comments:

Post a Comment