Monday, July 28, 2014

Philly Marathon Training, Week 2

Monday, July 28th:


5:50am, 70 degrees, 92%, 0-5mph.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

5mi very easy (42:22) (8:29/mi).  Strides.

My legs were surprisingly sore and heavy this morning, so I kept the pace very slow and easy.  Even the strides afterward felt a little slow.  No worries, I was due for an easy recovery pace run after last week.

Tuesday, July 29th:

4:50am, 64 degrees, 73%, 5-10mph.  CHW Track.  Adidas Adios Boost.

10mi total, including 12x400m w/400m recovery jogs
Splits: 85 83 82 82 81 81 81 81 80 82 80 74
Avg: 81

Aside from some mild cramping in my left calf/soleus early on, I was pretty happy with the results of this morning's workout.  I stopped for about :15 after the fourth interval to stretch it out, and from there on out it felt okay, especially since I took the recovery jogs very easy (~2:10-:15).  It also took the first couple reps for me to get comfortable at the faster-than-usual pace, but by the 8-9th rep or so, I was feeling pretty good.  Ran the last one as fast as I could while staying relaxed and maintaining form - not quite all out.  Good first interval workout of the cycle.

Wednesday, July 30th:

6:20pm, Treadmill, 1.5% incline.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi easy treadmill (32:35) (8:09/mi)

Had originally planned on two short runs today at 4mi each but I was really run down this morning and decided to get an extra hour sleep instead.  Accordingly, I took it very easy on the treadmill tonight, slowly progressing from 7.0-8.0mph.  Felt much better after the run.  It's been a stressful week at work with Gab on vacation all week and Robin out sick today, but there's only one more tough day of work to get through tomorrow before I get some extra down time.

Thursday, July 31st:

4:50am, 61 degrees, 86%, calm.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  Asics Kayano 19.

6mi easy (47:13) (7:53/mi)

Felt solid from the very first step today.  Progressed from 8:24-7:35/mi.  I am sure the cooler temps helped also.  Now I just need to survive one long day of work!

Friday, August 1st:

5:45am, 67 degrees, 93%, calm.  Moorestown.  Asics Kayano 19.

8mi easy (1:01:12) (7:39/mi)

Conversational pace with Rosie and Ryan, with whom I had a nice discussion about Hansons' Training in preparation for his debut marathon at Philly.  It's amazing to me how much easier "easy pace" feels when I have training partners to help make the time pass.

12:10pm, 81 degrees, 65%, 0-5mph.  Neighborhood Loop.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

3mi easy (23:58) (8:00/mi).  Strides.

Very easy 2mi+ jog followed by 6x :20 fast strides.  Just enough to prime the muscles, get in a good stretch afterward, prepare myself for tomorrow's workout.

Saturday, August 2nd:

7:15am,  66 degrees, 93%, 5-10mph.  MRC - Maple Ave out-and-back - Stanwick Loop.  Saucony Cortana 3.

13mi total (1:30: 48), including 11mi @ 6:48/avg (6:43-:56/mi)

Had Ryan to keep me company for the first 8mi, which went relatively according to plan.  As soon as he dropped off though, I started to feel the effort, mostly due to the humidity really settling in and wrecking havoc with my body temperature.  I was still able to sustain the same pace for the final 4mi of the moderate segment, but my perceived effort definitely increased.  Still, today was a good sign that I am on the right track with my endurance.  Next week's marathon pace tempo will be an even better indicator.

Sunday, August 3rd:

6:00am, 65 degrees, 95%, 0-5mph.  Mike's House - Cinnaminson route.  Asics Kayano 19.

7mi easy, as 3:00 Kenyan shuffle, 4x strides, 6.6mi (49:19) (7:29/mi)

Had Mike and Tom to keep me company in the rain this morning, which actually felt nice and kept an otherwise humid morning feeling reasonably comfortable.  Had a nice discussion with Tom about the benefits of racing a HM versus using a HM as a "dress rehearsal" for the marathon - some nice running philosophy, back-and-forth style.  The good news is, I felt pretty good today after yesterday's long session, so no matter what I eventually decide to do at the Distance Run, I know that everything as planned up to this point seems to be working. :)

Weekly Total: 56 miles

So far, so good.  Next week is the first week with 3 sessions (SPEED, MP TEMPO, LONG) so we'll see how my body adapts to the new stimulus.

No comments:

Post a Comment