Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer 2014 Base Training, Week 8

Monday, June 23rd:

5:45am, 62 degrees, 93%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (M).  New Balance 1260v2.

6mi easy.  Strides.

Legs were pretty heavy this morning, so it was slow going.  Strides afterward felt okay, but nothing great.  Typical Monday morning run.

Tuesday, June 24th:

6:00am, 67 degrees, 75%, 0-5mph.  CH Blvd.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17, Adidas Adios Boost

10mi, with 10x.25mi hill with jog down recoveries

Ups: 88 84 84 84 80 80 80 79 77 73
Downs: 2:18 15 15 22 (gatorade break) 17 14 17 22 (gatorade break) 13 21
Avg: 81.0/2:17.5

Really nailed this workout again.  The weather was absolutely perfect this morning, hardly a breeze at all.  Took the same approach as last time, easing my way into the first few reps.  Started the second set of 4 a little aggressively, but I was able to comfortably hold form and continue to hit 80s comfortably.  Really let loose on the last rep this time, focusing on form and drive the last 150m.  Wasn't bent over huffing and puffing at the end, but I didn't really have another gear in me - I just had the feeling of being able to hold top speed for a long period of time.  Great workout.

Wednesday, June 25th:

7:10pm, 84 degrees, 58%, 5-10mph.  Chapel Ave out-and-back.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

8mi easy (1:03:20) (7:55/mi)

Warm and humid tonight.  It was my first chance to wear my new Endura Multi-Cool "doo rag" - a versatile piece of stretchy fabric that you can wear 12 different ways to help keep your head/body temperature cool in warmer conditions.  I preferred to wear mine "beanie" style, and I must say it did a fine job of keeping me cool and preventing sweat dripping down my face/body.  Would definitely recommend for those hot runs we'll be facing this summer.

Thursday, June 26th:

5:15am, 71 degrees, 92%, calm.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

5mi easy (40:20) (8:04/mi).  Strides.

Another humid day.  The Endura Multi-Cool really came in handy this morning.  Managed to stay cool the entire run this time, breathing was just a little hard with the humid air.   The strides after felt strong.

Friday, June 27th:

5:20am, 70 degrees,81%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Saucony Cortana 3, Adidas Adios Boost.

12.5mi (1:33:00), with 5mi ~MP tempo (6:24 17 17 14 10)

Another very strong effort today.  Got 3mi in early by myself, then ran another 2.5mi easy with Colleen, Mike, Jamie, and JP.  Paced JP for the tempo.  We cautiously eased into the pace in light of the weather conditions, and the run unfolded perfectly.  There were some times between 2.5-4.5mi where I could sense JP hit a few rough patches, but as always, he hung tough mentally and stuck it out.  He finished really strong the last .5mi.  I felt pretty relaxed and controlled the entire way - the pace felt like 20-25k effort right now, which is about where I want to be in base phase.

Saturday, June 28th:

6:00am, 64 degrees, 79%, calm.  Moorestown.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

9mi easy (1:11:35) (7:57/mi)

Beautiful morning.  Easy group run pace today was just what I needed.  Wasn't feeling that great for the first 5mi, but found my rhythm the second half of the run.  Welcomed Rosie to the group today.

Sunday, June 29th:

5:00am, 67 degrees, 75%, calm.  3x Tavistock Loop +.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

15.5mi, with 11x:30 "fast"/2:30 "easy" (5:03/7:41 avg) over the last 4.75mi.

Couldn't have scripted this run any better.  For the second day in a row, the weather was picture perfect.  Hardly a breath of wind the entire run with comfortable humidity.  Ran the first loop fairly easy (~8:05/mi avg) to let my legs wake up.  Started gliding through the second loop and powering up the hills a little more (~7:30/mi avg).  As luck would have it, I hit quite a few downhill stretches on the "fast" segments during the last loop, but of course, the 10th rep was straight up Triple Hill (still managed 5:07/mi pace for that :30 segment).  Can't believe how fast I could hit those short bursts, while still managing respectable easy pace in between.  I know I am going to be feeling this one later today and tomorrow.  Good thing I have nothing else to do today! :)

Weekly Total: 66 miles


By far my best week of this base phase.  This is the highest weekly volume I have hit since February, and I think that switching back to singles versus doubles made a big difference on how relatively fresh I felt each day.  With our family trip to Ohio this coming weekend for Anthony and Kelsey's wedding, I have no idea how much running I am going to manage Thursday-Sunday.  But having a week like this under my belt gives me tons of confidence, so I won't be fretting the extra down time or whatever the case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment