Monday, January 27, 2014

Winter 2014 Base Training, Week 6

Monday, January 27th:

Off.  Like last week, just too treacherous to attempt any running outside in the very early AM or very late PM.  And now the temps might not get above 15 degrees the next two days.  Probably won't make it back outside until Thursday.  Content just biding my time and staying in one piece.

Tuesday, January 28th:

Off.  Not all Tuesdays are created equal.  Ones that involve taking your wife's car to have a tire replaced after a long day of work in anticipation of more overnight snow don't rank especially high on the scale. :)

Wednesday, January 29th:

Off.  Was hoping to get out tonight, but I'm happy enjoying one more day indoors.  With the official Broad Street training commencing next week, I figure it can't hurt to enjoy some extra recovery while I can.

Thursday, January 30th:

9:00am, 13-20 degrees, 45%, 0-5mph.  CH Blvd.  Saucony Cortana 3.

11mi (1:23:04) - 2mi warmup, 4x strides, 12x.25mi hill with easy jog down recoveries, 2.3mi cooldown

Splits: 79 (whoops!), 84, 83, 83, 84, 82, 85, 83, 83, 82, 82, 76 (all-out)
Recoveries: 2:20, 2:17, 2:17, 2:26 (gatorade), 2:15, 2:19, 2:19, 2:27 (gatorade), 2:17, 2:20, 2:19, 2:29 (gatorade)

Back with a vengeance!  Conceived of the workout as 3 sets of 4 hill repeats with an extra :10 recovery at the end of each set for a quick swish of Gatorade.  Started feeling the workout around the 8th rep, but I stayed relaxed with powerful form the entire time.  For the last set, I could hear in my mind the famous "Look at Mills!" call from the 1964 Olympic 10,000m - every time I started to feel the burn, I relaxed and focused on opening up faster and faster.  For the last rep, I let the damn road have it.  I was just hoping to crack 79 again - was quite shocked to see that 76 on my watch.  Great feeling today.

Friday, January 31st:

5:15 am, 20 degrees, 73%, calm.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  New Balance 1260v2.

7mi (no watch)

Very easy recovery run.  Had two pleasant surprises on today's run.  1) Ran into Michele, Lou, Annette, and Emily on the way back - so I got to have some early AM company from about 3.5 - 5 miles.  2) Found $.50 laying in the middle of the road.  Casey, FTW!

1:45pm, 40 degrees, 45%, 0-5mph.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi (no watch)

Another very easy recovery run.  Enjoyed seeing the sun this afternoon.  The running gods are smiling down on my birthday weekend. :)

Saturday, February 1st:

6:30am, 31 degrees, 60%, calm.  Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

8.5mi - with 1.4mi pickup (6:55-7:15/mi) w/Steve

Best group run ever!  Colleen, Steve, Jason, Jamie (welcome back!), Rich, Meghan (welcome!), Kevin and I enjoyed a a nice comfortable pace around town.  Ran the first part of Steve's cutdown with him along Stanwick.  Afterward, got to celebrate with a wonderful homemade breakfast supplied by Colleen and Anita.  This is how life should be every morning. :)

Sunday, February 2nd:

10:00am, 40-47 degrees, 68%, 0-10mph.  Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

14.82mi (1:48:59) (7:21/mi) - 10.5mi easy followed by 10x:30 pickups (~5:30/mi avg) with 2:30 jog recoveries

Another great group run today with fabulous weather.  Actually busted out the shorts for this one.  Ran the first couple miles with the whole group before everyone splintered into little sub-groups.  Col and Tom were cruising around 7:00-7:10/mi pace, the new guy Keith and I were running 7:20s, and Steve, Jim, and Mike were just behind us running 7:30s.  I actually felt much better during the pickup segment at the end - I was able to easily open up and get the legs churning after the first couple.  Felt strong at the finish.  Great way to end the week.

*IN BIGGER NEWS: I got a treadmill for my birthday last night!  No more worrying about trekking out in the snow and ice, which means I should be able to get in a solid block of training over the next 13 weeks for Broad Street.  Just in time, too, as we are supposed to get another 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow...ugh.

Weekly Total: 45.5mi

Nice volume and quality over just 4 days of running.  Very happy with Thursday's hill session and today's long run.  I am excited about officially starting the Broad Street cycle tomorrow.  Having the treadmill now is going to be huge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment