Monday, January 20, 2014

Winter 2014 Base Training, Week 5

Monday, January 20th:

Rest.

Silly me, I decided to get some extra sleep this morning since I knew I would have a long day at work, thinking I would take the day off and get some extra recovery before a planned workout tomorrow night.  Now with the looming forecast, it looks like I might not be doing any running before Thursday.  Oh well, I'll  look at the positive - I definitely won't hurt myself if I can't even get out the door to run!  I'll pick things back up when it is safe to go outside again.  After this winter, it is definitely time for me to invest in a personal treadmill. :)

Tuesday, January 21st:

Off.  Probably 12+ inches of snow when all is said and done.  Certainly not running weather any time soon. :(

I have to admit, though, I am enjoying the extra sleep and rest this week.  I'm sure I'll feel great and ready to go whenever it is safe to hit the roads again.

Wednesday, January 22nd:

Yet another day off.   Can't say I ever really had to urge to go out for a run in sub-zero windchills today.  This is just going to be a tough winter it seems, so I am not going to fight it or force the issue.  Maybe I'll forgo a big goal race this spring, just try to maintain as high a fitness level as I can and stay healthy, so that I can really give things a go for the fall when the team is all planning to do the Philly marathon together.  Maybe February won't be as bad and I can actually get in a solid block of training, but for now the plan is to just take things day by day and run when it is safe.

Thursday, January 23rd:

Off again.  My goal tomorrow on my day off work is to find a stretch of road, anywhere, and safely run for at least 30 minutes.  Or maybe 2 hours.  Just to preserve my sanity. :)

Friday, January 24th:

9:00am, 13-16 degrees, 48%, 10-15mph.  Haddonfield.  New Balance 1260v2.

7.2mi (58:55) (8:11/mi)

Finally!  The roads were kind of hit and miss so I just ran easy and safe.  Took the terrain for what it was and didn't try to push the effort at all.  Was able to run the uphills and downhills at a decent effort though, and finished strong the last .2mi on Triple Hill at about 7:15/mi pace.  Just glad to be back out.  Will probably double back with a short run in a couple hours.

12:15pm, 17 degrees, 40%, 10-15mph.  2x Neighborhood.  New Balance 1260v2.

4.2mi (34:15) (8:10/mi)

Same as this morning, but the footing wasn't quite as tricky.

Saturday, January 25th:

7:30am, 22 degrees, 52%, 15mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

12mi (1:34:58) (7:55/mi)

Thankfully, I had company this morning with JP and Elliott (and briefly, Rich).  Sharing the work made the run go by quickly, even though the wind was gusty at times and the roads were still hit-and-miss.  Just grateful to get in a good run before MORE snow today (ugh!).

*IN BIGGER NEWS: Because the winter has been so harsh and training sketchy, I have decided to forgo my plans of running an early spring marathon and will instead make the Broad Street Run my main focus.  I'll count all the work I have done to this point as a good base, give myself one more transition week next week, and then start a 12 week specific block geared toward running a fast 10 miler in early May.

Sunday, January 26th:

9:30am, 20 degrees, 40%, 0-10mph.  Cinnaminson-Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

14.35mi (1:43:30) (7:12/mi) - including 6 x 2:00 "on"/2:00 "off" over the last 4mi (~5:55/mi "on"/~7:05/mi "off")

Perfect kind of run to end the week.  It was a great confidence booster running this type of workout after the week I had.  A) I comfortably kept up with runners just a tier above me (Tom and Colleen) B) I was able to finally open up again after the extra time off and the sloshing around the snow.  I feel rejuvenated again now that I know Broad Street is the new goal and I have more time to prepare.  Hearing Tom and Colleen talk about goals of running ~57:30 makes a fast time for me (58:30-59:00) seem more and more possible.

Weekly Total: 37.75 miles

Not much I could do about this week.  Got in what I could, including a nice quality longer run today.  One more week of base before switching gears for Broad Street.  I am excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment