Monday, February 3, 2014

Broad Street 2014 Training Plan, Week 1

Monday, February 3rd:

5:05am, Treadmill, 1.5% incline.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

6mi (48:45) (8:08/mi)

First full run on the new treadmill!  Sure beat the freezing rain conditions outside this morning, and the 4-8in of snow we are supposed to get later today.

Tuesday, February 4th:

6:15pm, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

7mi (54:31) (7:47/mi)

Progressed from 7.0-7.9 mph based on feel.  The time really flies by much faster than I had imagined when Sportscenter and Jeopardy are on TV. :)

Wednesday, February 5th:

7:50am, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Adidas Adios Boost 2.

11mi (75:44) - 1.5mi warmup, 8mi@6:24/avg (6:30 27 27 25 23 23 21 19), 1.5mi cooldown

Very different sensation running a longer tempo run on a treadmill.  A) You overheat pretty quickly, so you have to adjust the effort and expectations accordingly, and make sure you have lots of water/Gatorade and a towel handy, B) You almost have to think in quarter miles/half miles to make it mentally manageable, because the time inevitably passes slower than when running outside at that pace, C) You have to keep up with the damn pace of the treadmill - the machine is unrelenting in that there are no breaks/recoveries!  Still, I showed some great physical and mental resolve by negative splitting the run and not trying to do TOO much - that being said, that last mile was a tough one.

Thursday, February 6th:

4:50am, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

6mi (49:35) (8:17/mi)

Easy recovery run after last night's workout and the quick turnaround.  Slowly progressed from 8:45-8:00/mi pace.

Friday, February 7th:

5:25am, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

7mi (55:29) (7:56/mi)

I liked the way I structured this easy run.  Mile 1 broken into .25mi segments: (7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 mph).  Mile 2 to Mile 7 I kept upping 0.1 mph at time at each mile marker (7.4, 7.5, 7.6...).  Allowed me to easily progress into the run, starting comfortably slow (8:34/mi) and finishing smoothly faster (7:36/mi).  Best I have actually felt on a run this week.

12:00pm, 33 degrees, 48%, 5-10mph.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4.5mi no watch - with 4x strides after

Felt a little funny running outside again.  I actually felt kind of dizzy the first 1/4 mile, as if my brain had to readjust to moving scenery.  Kept it very controlled and easy.  Same with the strides after - ran at about 5k effort, just in case I am able to sneak in the 5k race tomorrow afternoon before (MORE!) snow moves in again.

Saturday, February 8th:

8:25am, Treadmill, 0.5% incline.  Mizuno Waverider 17.

2mi (16:20) (8:10/mi)

Easy shakeout run before this afternoon's 5K.  Started at 7.0mph and increased 0.1mph every 1/4mi.  Very relaxed and easy.  Love the fit and feel of the new shoes I was breaking in.

2:55pm/3:55pm, 29 degrees, 33%, 0-10mph.  Naval Yard.  New Balance 1260v2.

4mi total - 1.5mi warmup, 2 x 1:00 "on"/2:30 "off, 1.5mi cooldown

3:30pm, 29 degrees, 33%, 0-10mph.  Naval Yard.  Adidas Adios Boost.

5k (16:53!) (5:26/mi)

I am over the moon right now!  Today was just a day where everything fell perfectly together.  Despite the forecast for possible snow, the weather kindly cooperated - there were minor, insignificant flurries about 45 minutes before the gun, but they completely stopped and the sun revealed itself about 10 minutes before the race started.  I decided ahead of time not to wear a watch - I wasn't chasing a fast time today, per se - I just wanted to get in the feel of racing for the first time since the Distance Run last September.  Also, the regular winds off the riverfront were almost non-existent - there was just one 1/4mi stretch on each lap where you felt them pick up for a bit, but not enough to throw off rhythm.

I also liked that the course was two loops - kind of like Euro Cross Country races, except on pancake flat asphalt.  I stuck with a reasonably comfortable rhythm on the first lap and was stunned when I came through at 8:22.  I wasn't completely spent at that point, so I knew as long as I held it together I could nail a good time.  I focused on the runner ahead of me and closed the gap by 2 miles, passing him.  He drafted off me for about 1/2mi before taking the lead again, and we pushed each other and maintained the pace until we were dead even with 150m to go.  Turns out, he had one more gear than I did, but I was thrilled when I saw the finishing time - 16:53!  It was his first time breaking 17:00 since high school, same for me.  And on a day where I totally wasn't expecting it.

I was on cloud nine during the entire cool down, and couldn't stop smiling on the drive home.  As this was the first race of my season, I am just hoping it is a positive harbinger of things to come. :)

Sunday, February 9th:

6:30am, 19-23 degrees, 63%, 0-5mph.  Home - Moorestown (Stanwick) - Home.  New Balance 1260v2.

12.6mi (1:37:27) (7:44/mi)

Eased into the pace of this run after yesterday's race effort.  I was thrilled that I wasn't that sore - I wasn't sure when I woke up how my muscles would fire this morning.  Didn't check splits until afterward, but it turns out I ran almost a perfect progression (8:23 8:00 7:49 43 45 42 36 38 39 39 36 26).  Felt great the whole way.

Weekly Total: 63.2 miles

Couldn't be happier with this week.  Having the treadmill now is HUGE for my consistency.  I don't have to worry about missing training, and I can carefully monitor workouts when the weather outside is bad.  I am still stunned by the 5K result.  Let's see where I can take things from here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment