Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Base Training, Week 1

Monday, May 13th:

5:35am, 47 degrees, 50%, 5-10mph.  Chapel - Cooper Landing - back.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

4m easy - (8:22)

Back on the saddle!  My left calf was a little tight, and a couple other creaks here and there, but overall felt pretty decent, like a bear awakening from hibernation.  Did some good stretching afterward.

Tuesday, May 14th:

8:20pm, 57 degrees, 35%, 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

3m easy - (7:51)

My right IT band was mildly sore for the better part of the day.  Did some stretching and massage before tonight's run which helped.  Didn't affect my running at all, but I kept the run short just to be safe.  Will see how it feels tomorrow.

Wednesday, May 15th:

9:00pm, 70 degrees, 70%, calm.  Neighborhood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

4mi easy - (8:07)

Smoothest I have felt this week.  Still a little tight in both quads but everything seemed to loosen up as I went along.

Thursday, May 16th:

Rest

Friday, May 17th:

5:30am, 60 degrees, 50%, 5-10mph.  Scott Coffee Course.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

5.37mi easy - (8:35)

Absolutely beautiful morning run with Larry.  Great conversation about the upcoming summer training plan and rediscovering the fun of running/racing.

Saturday, May 18th:

7:00am, 63 degrees, 60%, calm.  Maple Shade Post Office and back.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

5.03m easy - (7:32)

After seeing my massage therapist yesterday, my whole body felt much looser and my stride definitely opened up on today's run.  I intentionally practiced using a more exaggerated back armswing, a less forceful footstrike (staying light on my feet), while implementing more power on my push off.  I was really surprised to see how "fast" of an easy pace I averaged today - it certainly didn't feel like I was moving that quickly.  While I am very happy to see how such minor tweaks could lead to immediate rewards on my pace v. effort, I will make sure to keep things in check while getting back into running so that I don't get ahead of myself.

Sunday, May 19th:

6:45am, 60 degrees, 85%, 5-10mph.  Cooper River Golf Course and back.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

7.11m easy - (7:52)

Tried to maintain the same form as yesterday, just held back on the effort slightly to bring the pace down a little.  Never checked my watch until the finish, and was happy to see all the miles were within a tight pacing window (7:48-8:01).  Felt pretty good despite the humidity, and felt strong the last 2 miles.

Weekly Total: 28.5 miles

Good first week back.  Got the kinks out the first couple runs, felt much better after seeing Holli on Friday, and tinkering with my form and pacing the past two days seems to be paying dividends.  I already like how this cycle is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment