Monday, October 27, 2014

Philly Marathon Training, Week 15

Monday, October 27th:

5:10am, 49 degrees, 59%, 0-5mph.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  Asics Kayano 19.

6mi (50:17) (8:23/mi)

Both of my hamstrings were very tight this morning after doing some squats yesterday.  My IT band felt much better, barely even noticed it the whole way.

Tuesday, October 28th:

8:15pm, 66 degrees, 68%, 5-10mph.  Hialeah-Valley Run-Neighborhood.  Adidas Glide 6 Boost.

7mi (55:12) (7:53/mi).  Strides.

Finally felt smooth again on an easy run.  Strides after were fast, too.  Starting to get some pop back in my legs again.

Wednesday, October 29th:

7:45pm, 53 degrees, 80%, 0-5mph.  5x Neighborhood Loop +.  Asics DS Trainer 18.

12mi (1:25:46): including 3x2mi (6:09/mi avg) w/.5mi recovery jogs (4:11/avg)
Splits: 12:21 (6:13 08), 12:18 (6:11 07), 12:14 (6:11 03)

Optimal conditions tonight ended up leading to an optimal workout.  I also got to break in the shoes I most likely will decide to wear for the Philly Marathon, my new Asics DS Trainers.  Probably the closest thing I found so far to my favorite running/racing shoe of all-time, the Adidas Adizero Tempo 4: lightweight, plenty of cushioning, fast/firm feel, and a touch of stability which is perfect for the latter stages of a long run/race.  I ended up negative splitting each interval, and progressively got faster for each rep tonight.  I was starting to feel the burn on that last one as it was just a bit faster than I was aiming, but I could have pulled out one more rep if I needed to, which tells me I wasn't overdoing it.  Only a few more of these long workouts to go - I can't believe I am now just 3 1/2 weeks away from the big day!

Thursday, October 30th:

7:15pm, 52 degrees, 55%, 5-10mph.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  Adidas Glide 6 Boost.

7mi (56:37) (8:05/mi)

I had quite a bit of stiffness and soreness in my legs throughout the day after last night's workout, but I actually felt pretty decent once I got moving tonight.  I can feel the cold fall air already moving in for this weekend - should be rather interesting the next few days.

Friday, October 31st:

8:35am, 42-49 degrees, 73-60%, 5mph.  Tavistock Loop forward, Pennypacker Loop, Tavistock Loop backward.  Asics Kayano 19.

12mi hilly (1:32:24) (7:42/mi): 4mi@8:15, 4mi@7:38, 4mi@7:13

Felt dreadful the first 4mi, like I had no energy whatsoever.  I stopped for a quick drink of Gatorade, and from there I was able to lock into a nice rhythm and just keep steadily picking up the pace.  My right IT band had some minor discomfort the last couple miles, but I think it was due to an overtight piriformis which I was able to stretch out afterward.  I really attacked the 11th mile well (including the entire climb up Washington Ave), clicking off a 6:52 without too much effort.  Backed off after that to cool down and not over due things.  Nice run, beautiful crisp fall morning.

Saturday, November 1st:

8:00am, 44 degrees, 84%, 15-25mph, pouring f*cking rain.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

8.5mi (1:03:37) (7:29/mi)

I ran the last 8.5mi of Colleen and Jamie's 19mi run in a nice cold, soaking rain.  I think they were both eager to just finish, and so we ran at a pace that was a bit quicker than I normally would for an easy day, but I was just happy to have company.  I could feel the effort starting to catch up with me the last mile, so I backed off their pace to save myself for tomorrow's long run, which is supposed to be another cold, very windy day.  Oh joy.

Sunday, November 2nd:

6:00am, 40 degrees, 65%, 15-30mph.  Moorestown-Cinnaminson.  Adidas Glide 6 Boost.

20mi (2:26:49): as 6mi easy, 5mi@7:09, 8mi@6:59, 1mi easy

Last big long run before Philly.  Paced Steve for his workout in very gusty weather.  This was a great mental confidence booster, still having some running in the tank after hard running in tough conditions.

Weekly Total: 72.5 miles

Almost there!  Will be cutting back to about 60 miles and 55 miles over the next two weeks.  That should give my legs a chance to come back around.  Very happy with where I am at and how this cycle has unfolded.  Looking forward to the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment