Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Philly Marathon Training, Week 14

Monday, October 20th:

Rest.

Tuesday, October 21st:

5:25pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

7mi (55:59) (8:00/mi)

Smooth going on the treadmill tonight.  Progressed from 7.0-7.8mph.  I almost didn't mind it.  Almost.

Wednesday, October 22nd:

6:45pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17, Adidas Adios Boost.

11mi (1:17:58), including 2x3mi (6:13/mi avg) w/1mi recovery jog (8:21)
Splits: 18:39 (6:17 13 09), 18:39 (6:17 13 09)

The weather was absolutely dreadful outside tonight, so I bit the bullet and did a longer workout on the treadmill.  Breaking up the run into a warmup (change shoes, stretch), workout (changing the paces each mile), and cooldown (change shoes, shirt, stretch) definitely helped the time go by more quickly.  It was also nice just settling into the humming rhythm of the treadmill, locking in and not having to worry about pace.  Felt great negative splitting each interval the way I did.  Nice confidence booster.

Thursday, October 23rd:

6:45 pm, 56 degrees, 61%, 15-20mph.  Valley Run-Cooper Landing-CH Blvd-Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

7mi (56:50) (8:07/mi)

Nice, relaxed run tonight, despite some gusty winds and some KFC about an hour before the run, haha.  Easy progression from 8:31-7:42/mi.

Friday, October 24th:

9:15am, 55 degrees, 70%, 10-15mph.  2x Tavistock Loop.  Asics Kayano 19.

10mi hilly (1:18:25) (7:51/mi)

An idyllic run.  Once I got the legs moving after the first mile (8:28), every mile was between 7:51-:35.  Felt like I was floating the whole way, having to restrain myself from wanting to go faster.  A very fun run today, which I can't always say about a 10 miler, especially one with some rolling hills.

Saturday, October 25th:

7:00am, 49 degrees, 60%, 5-10mph.  Lloyd Hall to Mile 9 of Philly Marathon Course - ran course from Mile 9 to the finish.

18mi (2:04:44) (6:56/avg overall): 9mi easy (7:31/mi), 9mi tempo (6:21/mi)
Tempo Splits:  32 21 27 18 13 18 23 19 19

This was a tough one.  Couldn't argue with the conditions, the weather was practically perfect.  But I ran it solo and I ran it while weaving around the Regatta traffic and the Manayunk sidewalk sale.  What was nice is a good section of Kelly Drive was blocked off to vehicle traffic for the Regatta, so I was able to get some great practice running the tangents of the course and taking mental note of the actual mile markers along the way.  As they should have, the first 9 miles felt pretty easy, like I was building into the real running.  While the schedule called for the tempo to be run at goal pace, I ended up running faster than I wanted to - which wasn't necessarily a good/bad thing - the workout just became a different one than I had initially designed.

The tempo started right as I was crossing Falls Bridge onto MLK, so I got practice settling into pace going down the hill, doing the 180 degree turn in the middle of the road, and then going back up MLK back over Falls Bridge.  The first mile was perfect: I was hoping for something in the 6:30-:40 range to settle into pace.  But from there, I progressed a little too quickly and when I got Manayunk, weaved around the sidewalk shoppers and made the turnaround in front of Green Lane, I could feel the run turn more into a faster-finish tempo than an actual goal pace tempo.  The string of miles from 20-22mi (6:18 13 18) I was zipping along and full of running.  I tried to temper myself a little when I got about 5K from the finish, but at that point I figured I was "all in" and just practiced the feeling of holding form on tired legs on that specific part of the course (i.e., a preview of the mental/physical struggle at the end).  By no means was I falling apart, but the running was definitely NOT "pace" work - I would have struggled to keep that same pace for even 3-5mi more today.

What I learned today:
* I really think 2:48 is the "A" goal.  Any running faster than 6:20/mi before mile 20 could spell doom.  As such, I think 6:25/mi is the overall pace to target.  Start a little slower than that for 3-4mi, try to hold 6:25s until mile 20, and then see if I could run the last 10k as fast as I did today.  I think that would be best case scenario.

* It was such a benefit to "see" the tangents today.  That will really help me come race down knowing when to anticipate "tighter" running and where to anticipate certain checkpoints.

* The climb out of Manayunk and at the finish aren't nearly as bad as I remember (at least, they weren't so bad today, haha).  I didn't really have to increase the effort or watch my pace - I just cruising right along during those sections.

* I can only hope to get conditions similar today - maybe a touch cooler.  I noticed as soon as I stopped and took off my arm warmers that I instantly felt cooler.  I'll have to remember that a forecast that predicts a finish around 50 degrees might call for me to ditch the arm warmers midway.

* I also learned that I have to keep the zipper in the back pocket of my shorts tightly bunched around the GUs I store in there - one fell out during the first easy mile as I was going downhill.  Other than that, the fuel plan went well (GUs 20 minutes prior, Mile 4/9/14/19 and one extra for emergency, Gatorade every 2-3 mi).

All in all, today was very productive.  But I will definitely be feeling it tomorrow. :)

Sunday, October 26th:

7:00am, 53 degrees, 70%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

11mi (1:33:02) (8:28/mi)

Conversational pace run with Rich and Jason.  I needed this one.  My right IT band was a bit tight during the run, but felt fine afterward with some good stretching.  I think it's time to schedule an appointment with Holli.

Weekly Total: 64 miles

4 weeks to go!  I am pretty locked into my race plan at this point, so moving forward the big goals are to stay healthy and get proper rest/recovery.  Starting with a nap later today, haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment