Monday, December 30, 2013

Winter 2014 Base Training, Week 2

Monday, December 30th:

2:45pm, 42 degrees, 54%, 10-20mph.  Cherry Hill West.  Saucony Cortana 3.

9mi total - 2.5mi warmup, 4x strides, 4x1200m (4:04 04 06 04) w/400m recovery jogs (2:13-:14), 2mi cooldown

My legs felt unusually flat and heavy before I even started the workout.  The windy conditions certainly didn't help matters.  But while I never felt great or locked in during the workout, I was able to maintain the pace I wanted to (was targeting 4:03-:06).  Once again, I had to "go to the well" on the last lap of the last rep, but I recovered quickly and didn't slow down for the recovery lap jog.  I know these 5K pace intervals will serve me well whenever I decide to jump in a 5K, but I am not gonna lie, they effing hurt when you do them by yourself, especially in crappy weather! :)

Tuesday, December 31st:

5:45am, 25 degrees, 53%, calm.  Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

8mi recovery - (8:29)

Threw in a couple of sub-8:00/mi surges, but otherwise kept it slow and easy after yesterday's workout.  Plus it was tough to warmup in today's cold temps.  Thankfully I had Colleen, Steve, and Jamie to key off of for most of the run, even while they did their hill workout.  Definitely a morning where you are grateful to have company - otherwise you might not ever head out the door!

11:55am, 32 degrees, 55%, 10mph.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi easy - (7:39)

Felt so much snappier with light, quick turnover this afternoon.  Form felt really tight with no wasted motion.  First time in a few days I have felt really fresh on a run.  Great way to cap off the year.

Wednesday, January 1st:

7:10am, 27 degrees, 52%, calm.  Maple Ave out and back.  New Balance 1260v2.

7mi easy - (8:01)

Started strong, but tired out toward the end.  Some minor right groin/hip flexor tightness.  Did some good stretching afterward.  Will obviously monitor the tightness, as that is the side I had the stress fractures before, but I think it really is just muscle tightness from the cold weather.  Will run much easier on the second run today to see if that helps loosen it up.

12:00pm, 36 degrees, 45%, calm.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

5.5mi recovery - (8:17): including 4x :20 fast strides after (4:50-5:10/mi pace)

Felt SO, SO good to run a super easy conversational pace - progressed from 9:10-8:00/mi.  Great catching up with Terry, JP, Dawn, Liz, Stilley and others.  Nice way to ring in the New Year.  Strides after felt powerful.

Thursday, January 2nd:

9:00am, 34 degrees, 79%, 10-15mph.  3x CHW Loop.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

12.5mi total - 3mi warmup, 4x strides, 3x (1.75mi@6:24/.25mi@5:58), 3mi cooldown

Not sure where the energy came from on this one.  Conditions were terrible (although nothing like they will be this weekend).  Warmup was super slow (8:23/mi pace).  But as soon as I started the tempo, things just clicked.  The wind didn't seem to affect me at all.  I actually felt better and stronger on the .25mi surges.  Had tons of energy left on the third loop and had to hold myself back somewhat to not go faster than the planned paces.  I took Gatorade around 2.25mi and 4.25mi of the tempo, but rather than gulping it down, I tried to keep small traces in my mouth for longer periods of time before swallowing.  That seemed to help also.  Felt like a real Hansons runner today.  I'll take it.

3:05pm, 28 degrees, 80%, 10mph.  Kilmer Neighborhoods.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

3mi recovery - (8:23)

Snuck in a few easy miles while waiting to pickup Frankie from school.  I can feel the cold Arctic air already starting to sneak in.  Tomorrow should be fun.

Friday, January 3rd:

9:55am, 15 degrees, 54%, 15-35mph.  1.5x Neighborhood Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

3mi slow in the snow - (9:22)

I had planned on taking off day since I was feeling a little beat up from the week.  But once I finished shoveling the sidewalk/driveway/cars, I figured I was "warmed up" and wouldn't head back out if I went into the house, so I braved the elements for 3 very easy miles around the neighborhood.  I loved all the looks I got from people shoveling their sidewalks and cars.  Hopefully I can get some more good stretching in today to loosen up my right quad/hamstring/hip flexor.

Saturday, January 4th:

7:15am, 4 degrees!, 63%, calm.  Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

7.5mi easy - (8:17)

Didn't feel my toes for the first 3 miles.  Otherwise, I dressed appropriately and fed off the company of Rich, Tom, and Jamie.  The sun came out for the second half of the run, and we finally got some clear roads for the last 1.5mi or so.  Definitely a run where you are glad you have good company to make that hour disappear as quickly as possible!

Sunday, January 5th:

6:50am, 29-33 degrees, 80%, light freezing rain.  CH Mall Parking Lot.  Saucony Cortana 3.

12.5mi total - 1mi warmup, 4x strides, 10mi@6:58/mi, 1mi cooldown

Absolutely miserable day for running.  I thought the roads would be pretty clear but there were still a lot of slick patches, which forced me to take short, choppy strides and work harder than I had planned.  The freezing rain started about 3mi into the run, which got my socks/shoes/gloves wet and made the rest of the run even more miserable.  I probably should have bagged this thing a few miles in, but I soldiered on to get 10mi moderate running in, although I had originally planned 13mi moderate.  My hamstrings both started cramping from the cold weather, so I am just hoping I didn't do any longer term damage by trying to be a tough guy today.  At least I have the rest of the day to relax.

Weekly Total: 72 miles

I have noticed that I have recently reverted back to some bad old habits that ended up getting me injured: 1) running workouts harder than I should, 2) giving too much importance to weekly mileage instead of proper recovery on non-workout days, 3) trying to do what's "on the schedule" instead of adjusting due to conditions.  I am making a pact with myself that I am going to do a lot more listening to my body, not worrying about mileage/workouts, and letting the fitness come rather than forcing it.  I am not sure exactly how that will look with my schedule moving forward, but maybe that's the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment