Monday, December 9, 2013

Fall 2013 Base Training, Week 12

Monday, December 9th:

7:55pm, 36 degrees, 90%, calm.  2.5x Neighborhood Loop.  New Balance 1260v2.

5mi recovery - (8:07)

Somehow I had so much energy tonight.  It felt like I was walking the whole way.  Had to hold back big time.  Could've run much faster and much longer if I wanted to, but I am sticking to the plan and giving myself the needed recovery from last week.  Plus I might to double back very early tomorrow morning with yet another impending snowfall.

Tuesday, December 10th:

4:55am, 33 degrees, 89%, calm.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  New Balance 1260v2.

7.5mi easy - (8:04): w/4x :20 fast strides after (5:00-:20)

The calm before the storm.  I wasn't quite as energetic as last night during the run, but that is probably mostly due to the quick turnaround and the early morning hours.  The fast strides after felt very smooth.

Wednesday, December 11th:

4:40am, 21 degrees, 80%, calm.  Garden State Park.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

10mi total - 2.5mi warmup, 4x strides, 4mi tempo 5:56 (54 53 59 57), 2.5mi cooldown, 4x strides

Chilly morning, but didn't feel too bad since the wind was calm.  Easy jog over to the Garden State Park drive, which was clear of ice and had great footing.  Just ran back-and-forth loops in there for the workout and jogged home.  Once again, started the first 1/3 of the first mile too fast (5:39/mi pace) before settling into the pace of the tempo.  Found myself working hard that last mile, but mentally I broke it down into phases to keep it manageable.  Strides after the cooldown felt smooth.  Great tempo run in these conditions today.  Very pleased.

Thursday, December 12th:

6:30pm, 24 degrees, 41%, 5-10mph.  Maple Ave out-and-back.  New Balance 1260v2.

7.5mi recovery - (8:01)

Much like Monday night, I had a surprising amount of energy and had to hold myself in check.  Crazy as it sounds, I am already pretty used to this cold.  Which is a good thing, because it looks like it's going to hang around for awhile.

Friday, December 13th:

5:00am, 23 degrees, 50%, 5-10mph.  Hialeah-Kilmer-Hialeah.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

8mi easy - (7:53)

Eased into another chilly run.  Started at 8:20/mi, worked my way down to 7:40/mi.  Very comfortable the whole way, handling the couple rolling hills with ease.

2:15pm, 37 degrees, 41%, 10-15mph.  2x Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi easy - (7:44): w/4x :20 fast strides after (~5:00/mi)

Had a huge lunch at the company holiday party.  Ran with a bloated stomach.  Didn't feel great, but kept a good rhythm.  I was surprised to see how fast the strides were given how lousy I felt.  The temperature felt much colder than it was because of the wind.  By no means a great run, but a productive one.

Saturday, December 14th:

4:50am, 29 degrees, 72%, 5-10mph.  Garden State Park.  Saucony Cortana 3.

10mi total - 3mi warmup including 4x :20 strides, 8k tempo (6:22/mi avg) as 4x (1k@6:07/mi, 1k@6:36/mi), 2mi cooldown

Splits: (6:06/6:37, 08/38, 09/36, 06/34)

Today's workout was a nice change of pace workout.  Felt fairly comfortable the first two times through (4k), but had to work hard into a decent headwind during that 5th kilometer.  Finished strong though for the last 2k and felt like I had a few more rounds in me if I wanted to extend the workout.  Pleased that I was able to average ~goal marathon pace for the entire tempo.

11:45 am, 33 degrees, 78%, 10mph.  2x Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi recovery - (8:05)

Felt surprisingly smooth.  Held back the entire way - could have run much faster if I wanted to.

Sunday, December 15th:

8:00am,  34 degrees, 85%, 0-5mph.  Haddonfield.  New Balance 1260v2.

14mi fast-finish recovery/depletion run - (8:20): 7mi @ 8:56/mi pace, 7mi @ 7:43/mi pace


Today’s creation just happened on the fly.  I was originally scheduled for an 8mi/6mi easy double, but my wife now has a commitment for the afternoon/evening.  So I then planned on a 10mi easy single.  I met Denning who is just coming back from injury so we kept the opening pace easy and slow.  But after a mile, he felt a nagging ache so we turned back around to our starting point.  That 2 miles was roughly 8:45/mi pace.  About 1/2 mile later, I ran into two runners I didn’t recognize running the same route I was now running.  I introduced myself, we chatted, kept a slow 9:00/mi pace for 5 miles more before they finished.   

Well, at that point, I didn’t feel too beat up so I figured I would run 5 miles more and make it a 12 mile single.  Then the sun came out, I started feeling good running 7:40s by myself, and figured I would get in the 14 miles I originally planned for the day, even though I hadn’t eaten or drank anything since the start of the run.  Which is how I ended up running a “fast-finish recovery pace/2 hour depletion run.”   I am sure I recruited all kinds of crazy muscle fibers and burned through every type of fuel source imaginable today.  But it felt good.

Weekly Total: 70 miles

Two weeks in the books and still in one piece, despite the snow and ice Mother Nature keeps throwing at us.  One more high volume week before I get a down week (and just in time for the holidays!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment