Monday, July 22, 2013

Philadelphia Distance Run Training, Week 5

Monday, July 22nd:

7:20pm, 75 degrees, 88%, 5-15mph.  Neighborhood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

4.5mi easy - (8:00)

I stuck to the neighborhood because of the threat of thunderstorms, and I am glad I did.  Not because of the weather, but because my legs felt ultra heavy and tired tonight and I decided to bag it much earlier than planned (was targeting 7-8 mi easy).  Not sure how I am going to adjust my planned race for tomorrow evening - if my legs are still really heavy or if the weather looks lousy, I may just give myself an easy or recovery day and bag the race.  Or I may still race but keep my foot off the throttle and run comfortably instead of all-out.  Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow re-energized and ready to go.

Tuesday, July 23rd:

6:20pm, 82 degrees, 72%, 5-10mph.  Cooper River.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3, Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

8mi total - 2mi warmup, 2x.25mT (6:26, 6:11 pace), 3.6mi race/tempo @ 5:48 pace (20:53), 1.7mi cooldown

Well, you can't accuse me of inconsistency.  I have now run this course 3 times and posted times of 20:54, 20:55, and 20:53!  All different circumstances: 1) Not really fit, but fairly decent running conditions, 2) More fit, but warm/humid conditions, 3) Fit but really tired, even warmer/humid conditions.  Tonight's race was a prediction run, which meant no watches period.  I decided before the race when I wasn't feeling it that I wouldn't go out as hard and would just run according to effort and place.  I ran the first 1 3/4mi behind two runners who set a pace directly in front of me.  I focused on staying relaxed and letting them set the tone.  Feeling good, I moved ahead of them just before 2mi and ran side-by-side by another runner who came back to me.  I maintained an even effort until about 100m from the finish and then kicked it home.  I honestly thought I was running 6:00-6:10/mi pace, as the effort was about 90%.  That's probably the best sign of fitness, that the same time feels easier under worse conditions on tired legs.  Very pleased with my results.  I am going to wait another 4 weeks before jumping in another race so I can focus on my workouts and not feeling quite as run down - evening races in warm conditions are tough to get used to.  These races sure are fun, though!

Wednesday, July 24th:

Rest.

Thursday, July 25th:

4:40am, 66 degrees, 60%, 5-10mph.  Valley Run-Kilmer-CH Blvd.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

8mi recovery - (8:24)

Legs still have that "heavy" feeling to them.  Took it very comfortably this morning - wow, what a blessing with the weather, though!  I think I would have to go back to early June to find conditions so nice.  Even if it's just for a day, I'll take it!

Friday, July 26th:

5:25am, 65 degrees, 88%, 10-15mph.  Wildwood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

8.5mi easy - (7:47)

Meandered my way through Wildwood in the early hours.  Didn't follow any particular route - just kind of zig-zagged through various streets until I ended up back at the beach house after 8.5 miles.  Started slow (8:22) and ended strong (7:30).  Found a track where I can do my workout tomorrow.

Saturday, July 27th:

5:50am, 66 degrees, 93%, 0-5mph.  Wildwood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

9.5 miles total - 2.5 mile warmup (8:18), 4x100m strides, 4x1200m (4:07 08 06 05) w/400m recovery jogs (2:00-:10), 4:00 recovery/fuel, 2x200m really fast (30.0, 30.2) w/200m walk/jog recoveries (1:55-2:00), 2 mile cooldown (8:20).

I am not sure what got into me this morning: the cooler weather, the large coffee from Mickey D's one hour prior, the oblong square-shape of the Wildwood high school track...but I just murdered this workout.  Ran a fast opening quarter on the first rep and from there found myself "holding back" for the rest of the workout.  Even the recoveries seemed generous and so easy. I only had to really work on the last lap of the last rep.  Even without my spikes I blistered the 200s, the second one easier and more controlled than the first.  Just an amazing feeling to feel that fast and that controlled.

Sunday, July 28th:

6:30am, 71 degrees, 88%, calm.  Haddonfield.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

11.5mi easy - (7:50)

Ran the first 4+ miles with Denning and Mickey, ran most of the last 7+ miles by myself.  Tried to keep it easy after yesterday's workout.  Started feeling a bit tired the last couple miles.

Weekly Total: 50 miles

Nice showing at the race and great Saturday track workout.  It was nice to have some cooler temps finally.  I can feel myself starting to turn a bit of a corner with my fitness.  The next 3-4 weeks will be key.

No comments:

Post a Comment