Monday, July 15, 2013

Philadelphia Distance Run Training, Week 4

Monday, July 15th:

5:40am, 77 degrees, 80%, 5-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

7mi easy - (8:06)

Took the first few miles very easy, as the heat was suffocating this morning and I wasn't quite fully awake.  Finished strong the last 3 miles.  Progressed from 8:37-7:51.

Tuesday, July 16th:

4:40am, 81 degrees(!), 70%, 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

10mi total - 1.9mi warmup, 3x2mi MP (6:31 29, 28 28, 28 27) w/2:00 walk recoveries, 1.7mi cooldown

Brutal.  Just brutal conditions.  I didn't even attempt the 6mi MP run I had on the schedule for today as I knew the conditions would be just awful.  I took in Gatorade during each 2:00 walk segment, which kept me as cool and as hydrated as possible.  I actually felt fairly comfortable and relaxed for each tempo segment, only really having to work the last 1/2mi or so of each one.  Finished the last rep feeling like I had run a 6mi tempo run!  I'll take whatever I can get this week.

Wednesday, July 17th:

6:55pm, 94 degrees(!), 40% , 5-10mph.  Cooper River and back.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

7.5mi easy - (7:43)

Apparently, the dew point index is the most accurate gauge of comfortable/uncomfortable running conditions.  Despite crazy high temps and moderate humidity this evening, the dew point was actually "just" 65 during my run, compared to dew point readings of 70 and 70 on Monday and Tuesday.  Which is probably why I surprisingly felt better during tonight's run than I did the past two days.  I naturally progressed from 8:00/mi pace down to 7:20/mi pace and finished with great form feeling ready to let loose if I wanted to.  Does this mean I will look forward to running in 94 degrees and 40% humidity in the future?  No, but I will pay closer attention to the dew point readings to help determine when might be a safer time than others to get a run in, even if it goes against conventional wisdom.

Thursday, July 18th:

7:10pm, 90 degrees(!), 62%(!), 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF .

6mi easy - (7:45)

I find myself becoming a sadist - there was a point about 4.5mi into tonight's run where I found myself ENJOYING the heat/humidity this evening, daring the sun to give me all it's got.  I was smart about it, dropping the pace from 8:09/mi at the start to 7:24/mi at the finish, and stopping for a :30 Gatorade break after every two mile loop.  But every time I ventured out again, I CHERISHED IT, I DARED IT, I CHALLENGED IT.  Maybe the heat is getting to me.  But like Nietzsche says, whatever doesn't kill you...

Friday, July 19th:

5:00am, 82 degrees, 81%, Dew Point 77(!), 0-5mph.  Cherry Hill West Track.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4, Asics Japan Thunder.

9.5mi total - 2mi warmup (8:28/mi), 3x100m strides (:21) w/:35 walk recoveries, 5x1000m (3:28 28 29 28 26) w/400m jogs (2:08-:16), 5:00 break to change into spikes and fuel, 2x200m fast (31.0, 31.4) with 200m walk recoveries (1:50-:55), 2.25mi cooldown (9:06/mi)

I will sum up my run today as such.  The dew point was 77.  I ran with a hat with ice cubes in it, replacing them as fast as they were melting.  I brought two towels with me and placed them at alternating spots on the track since 1000m repeats end at opposite finish lines, and I could towel off after each repeat.  I survive the workout and start my cooldown, burning up the road at 9:00+/mi pace, when I spot two wild turkeys running across the road in front of me in suburban Cherry Hill.  I then start wondering if I am really seeing two wild turkeys, or if I have completely lost my sanity from the crazy heat and the workout.  Such is the life of a wannabe runner in 77 dewpoint conditions.

Saturday, July 20th:

6:00am, 80 degrees, 74%, 5-10mph.   Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

9mi recovery - (8:43): 1mi wu, 6mi@8:19-:25, 2mi cd

Felt so, so good to run this pace today.  Had a nice group of training partners (Larry, Erin, Michele, Bob, John M.) to keep me company.  We even got a nice breeze with some shade on the way back in.  A very welcome respite from the lonely heat this week!

Sunday, July 21st:

5:45am, 74 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  3x Tavistock Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

12mi moderate - (6:54): light jog, 4x strides before, splits: 7:01 07 6:57 56 57 7:00 6:55 55 51 59 51 32

Absolutely murdered this workout.  Felt relaxed and in control the entire run.  Managed the hills (Upland, Greenmount, Triple Hill) very well without taxing myself.  Really felt strong on the third circuit and let myself just effortlessly open up during the last mile, which included all of Triple Hill.  Finished feeling like I had SEVERAL gears left.  A great run.

Weekly Total: 61 miles

I thought of myself much like Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump this week: shaking my fists at the universe and daring it to smite me.  Despite the ungodly heat, I not only survived, I thrived.  I will either come out of this week as strong as an ox and really ready to step up my training in about 10 days, or be due for a week of lethargy as my body begs for recovery.  Right now I would place money on me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment