Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 6

Monday, January 28th:

Day off.  Gave my soleus an extra day to recover, even though it feels much better.  Also came home from work with a terrible headache - turned in early.

Tuesday, January 29th:

Day off.  Think I might be coming down with some kind of cold.  I have developed a cold sore on the side of my nose in the past 24 hours, and I am suffering from an overall feeling of lethargy/achiness.  As nice as the weather was this evening, I am resisting the temptation to run and will instead give my body a proper recovery.  Since tomorrow evening's forecast looks very foreboding, I will probably give myself one more day off and just jump back on the saddle on Thursday, hopefully feeling much better.  I am taking it as a sign from the running gods that I should rest this week - my soleus, my body, even my mind.  It takes true confidence to rest, and based on my training up to this point, I have all the confidence that I will be ready when it matters most - on race day, not during Week 6.

Wednesday, January 30th:

8:00 pm, 60 degrees(!), 95%, 10-20mph.  Neighborhood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

8mi total - (7:12): 2mi warmup, 4.5mi Tempo Progression (7:01 6:50 37 30 20), 1.5mi cooldown

Everything about tonight's run was kind of on the fly.  I wasn't sure I would even run tonight until 10 minutes before I decided to head out.  I'll be honest - I just couldn't pass up the chance to run in 60 degrees, wind or no wind.  Who knows when 60 degrees will be around again!

My original schedule had a 7 mile MP run for this week's workout - I was just too iffy about testing the soleus that long so soon.  The other workout scheduled for this week is 3x1600m at 5K pace - again, too hard too soon.  So I met kind of middle ground with the progression tempo.  Some running at or around MP, some running faster on tired legs.  And to be honest, I am not completely over my cold, but I figured I would try to get some quality in this week.


The soleus held up fine during the tempo, but my calf started to tighten up near the end of the cooldown.  Not sure if that area is just still tight from the recovering soleus, or if I was dehydrated with the unseasonal heat/humidity.  I did some nice stretching afterward, and plan to take the next 2-3 days completely easy again.  I would be happy with just getting some steady miles the rest of this week until I am back to 100%.  Until then, just working my way out of this funk.

Thursday, January 31st:

8:05 pm, 35 degrees, 40%, 15-25mph.  Neighborhood.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

7mi easy - (7:58): including 8x75m strides after at mile race pace

Once again, I wasn't sure I was going to even run tonight until about 10 minutes before the run.  My calf had some off/on cramping throughout the day, but it felt loose enough that I thought I would at least give it a go and see how it felt.  I am glad I decided to run.  I stuck to the same 2 mile neighborhood loop that I did last night, just in case the calf flared up I wouldn't be too far from home at any point in the run.  I almost decided to stop at 4 miles, but then out of nowhere I got into a great rhythm and was able to forget about my calf and it felt like all of the tightness finally subsided.  I did some strides afterward to try to inject some speed into my legs and get the turnover really increasing again, and I gotta say it felt nice to really open it up.  For precautionary reasons, I plan on skipping the planned speed session this week, so I think the strides act as a nice substitute to keep that turnover sharp and fresh.

I am scheduled to see my massage therapist again tomorrow morning, just to have her go over those tight areas in my lower legs again and work out those troublesome knotty areas along my calf and soleus.  I am optimistic that I will finally get the long-term relief I need, and that I will be no worse the wear in a couple more days.

Friday, February 1st:
Happy Birthday to me!

5:00 am, 30 degrees, 40%, 0-5mph.  Grove-Lake-Haddon-Maple-Grove Loop.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

8mi easy - (7:55): including 5x100m strides after at mile race pace

It's funny how easy runs with strides can really turn things around for you.  I woke up early and couldn't fall back to sleep, so I thought I would get in some easy miles before seeing the massage therapist later this morning.  Just felt spectacular the entire way.  My stride suddenly seems easier, shorter and more efficient with some spring back in my step, my breathing is very controlled, and my overall attitude is positive again.  I think I have worked myself out the funk of the last week or so.

Saturday, February 2nd:

7:20 am, 20 degrees, 40%, 0-5mph.  Loop from Denning's house.  Brooks PureFlow.

7mi easy - (7:43)

The run just flew by today.  It's great to have training partners like Denning, who is an amazing friend and an amazing guy.  New shoes felt solid.  Better yet, no residual aches or pains after a great session with Holli yesterday.  I had a terrific knot about the size of a marble at the top posterior side of my soleus at the beginning - completely gone when she was finished!  I highly recommend her services to anybody reading this.

Sunday, February 3rd:

8:00 am, 28 degrees, 40%, 0-5mph.  Tavistock-Pearl Croft-Haddonfield.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

13mi moderate - (7:13)

Nice steady run with Denning, Mickey, and Rob.  Felt relaxed and controlled the entire way, even the small bumpy sections.  Conversational.  Got some good stretching in after.  Great to be back!

Weekly Total: 43 miles

While the overall volume was low like last week, I am very happy to end the week on a solid 5 day stretch that got better day-by-day.  I anticipate being 100% back on schedule this coming week and, assuming good weather conditions on Saturday, I am excited to see how I fare in a 5k after 10+ months without a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment