Monday, January 21, 2013

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 5

Monday, January 21st:

5:55 am, 27 degrees, 40%, 0-5mph.  Maple Shade Loop (M).  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

6mi easy - (8:05)

Slow moving at first, but felt better the last 2 miles.  Definitely ready for the off day on the schedule tomorrow.

Tuesday, January 22nd:

Day off.  Man was it cold today!  Not looking forward to a possible SOS workout tomorrow evening - either 7@MP or an interval ladder.  Guess we'll see what the weather has in store for me.

Wednesday, January 23rd:

7:45 pm, 14 degrees(!), 50%, calm.  Cherry Hill West.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

10mi total - (7:14): 2.25mi warmup, interval ladder 400m-800m-1200m-1600m-1200m-800m-400m w/400m jog recoveries, 2mi cooldown

Target warmup/cooldown: 8:10-:40
Actual warmup/cooldown: 8:19, 8:30
Target interval splits (85 seconds/lap): 85 2:50 4:15 5:40 4:15 2:50 85
Actual interval splits: 84 2:49 4:15 5:40 4:15 2:50 81
Target 400m recoveries: 2:05-:10
Actual 400m recoveries: 2:06 07 08 10 07 06 08

Even I don't believe this one.  I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves and leave it at that.  Man, am I beat!

Thursday, January 24th:

8:20 pm, 22 degrees, 30%, 5-10mph.  Grove-Lake-Haddon Ave-Maple-Grove-Neighborhood.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

8mi recovery - (8:22)

My left soleous/achilles was mildly sore for most of the day, which isn't surprising after last night's workout.  While it didn't hurt or feel worse during the run, that area was on my mind for the first 5 miles or so.  I am not sure if my legs finally went numb or if I finally loosened up, but it felt much better the last 2 miles or so.  I did a lot of stretching and strength exercises afterward, but I will definitely continue to monitor.  That area seems to be my weak spot right now so I need to make sure I don't exacerbate any potential weaknesses or injuries.  Other than that (and the freezing cold!) the run went well.

Friday, January 25th:

10:15 am, 22 degrees, 35%, 0-5mph.  Tavistock x2 +.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

9mi easy - (7:55)

Left soleus still a little sore, though not as bad as last night.  I think the cold this week and the fast running Wednesday night probably aggravated it.  Bought an Arctic Freeze wrap which has worked well in the past, and I will continue to do stretches and strength exercises.  I may decide to bag the MP run this weekend (especially if we get more snow and the footing isn't great) until I feel 100%.  That's actually not a bad thing, since I had already planned on swapping my MP and interval workouts in 2 weeks anyway because of the 5k race.  I'll play it by ear until then, just being extra cautious.

Saturday, January 26th:

8:00 am, 19 degrees, 60%, 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi recovery progression - (8:16): 8:35 25 28 20 17 01 7:46

Took it very easy to test out the soleus and to be extra cautious on the overnight snow-covered roads.  Many stretches of road were completely clear of everything but salt, while others still had some slushy sections but nothing dangerous.  I also stayed close to home in case I needed to abandon the run if the soleus flared up, but it never did.  In fact, after the first mile, everything felt completely fine.  I also overly dressed today and worked up a really good sweat, which helped loosened up either tight areas (glutes, hamstrings, quads) which have been probably affecting the soleus also.  I will continue to take it easy until everything feels completely normal - I am getting really close, but I would rather err on the side of caution at this point.

Sunday, January 27th:

I woke up with some residual tightness/soreness in the soleus again, so I skipped the planned morning long run.

Instead I visited my ART massage therapist, Holli, this afternoon and, man, is she a miracle worker!  Not only my soleus, but calves, glutes, hamstrings, quads - everything smoothly restored to full range of motion by the time I walked out the door!  Which lead to...

3:40 pm, 35 degrees, 40%, 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Adidas Supernova Glide 4.

3mi "clock run" - (7:32): 8:20 6:45 7:30

As my high school coach described them, "clock runs" are when you start slow, wind up the pace to tempo effort, and then wind it back down.  Great news is I didn't feel a single twinge of any sort from start to finish.  I still plan on taking my regular off day tomorrow (plus the weather is supposed to dramatically improve on Tuesday), but I think I should be in the clear beyond that.  I am glad I learned a valuable lesson (you just can't run that fast when it's THAT cold, dummy!) early in the marathon cycle without doing too much damage.

Weekly Total: 43 miles

Not too worried about the drop in volume this week.  I got in a hard fast workout (which I really shouldn't have) without doing too much long-term damage.  And I got an awesome massage!


No comments:

Post a Comment