Thursday, January 26, 2012

Broad Street Training, Week 1

Monday, January 16th:

5:15 am, 17 degrees, 60%, 0-5mph.  Cherry Hill West Track.  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

2m warm up, 5x(200-200-400) w/EDR, 2m cool down.
Goal splits: 38 38 77
Actual splits: 38 39 77, 38 37 76, 38 38 77, 38 38 77, 38 38 75

Was almost numb to the cold weather.  My lower back and left knee became tight as the workout progressed, but still managed to hit almost every split.  The 400s were so much more difficult than the 200s, although I was able to hold form on the straightaways well.  Ran the last 400 pretty close to all-out.  Took the warm up and cool down nice and easy.  Would have been nice to do this workout when I was more awake, but you do what you gotta do in the winter time.  Solid first workout of the season.

Tuesday, January 17th:

5:15 am, 38 degrees, 90%, 0-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop - Neighborhood.  New Balance 890.

6m easy

Felt surprisingly fresh after yesterday's workout and yesterday's marathon workday (11.5 hours!).  Did notice some very mild left knee soreness the last mile or so.  Not painful, doesn't seem IT band related, but will monitor.  Otherwise, felt great.

Wednesday, January 18th:

5:15 am, 43 degrees, 50%, 10-25mph.  Hialeah-Kilmer-Hialeah.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

8m recovery ~ 8:05-10 pace

Little tired this morning, and the gusty winds surely didn't help.  Wasn't too bad most of the run, but the last 1.5m was rough.

5:30 pm, 33 degrees, 40%, 5-10mph.  Church-Cole-Maple.  Nike Pegasus 28.

4m easy

Not nearly as windy as this morning, a little stop and go with traffic lights, but overall easy and relaxed.

Thursday, January 19th:

4:45 am, 20 degrees, 50%, calm.  Neighborhood.  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

2m wu, 6x1mT w/1:00 recovery jogs, 1.5m cd
Goal: 6:00-:05 mile
Actual Splits: 6:00 02 02 01 00 5:59

First mile felt fast, but I really settled in after the second rep.  Surprised how quickly I was able to recover between reps.  Way smoother than expected, especially for such an early AM session.

Friday, January 20th:

5:10 am, 35 degrees, 60%, 5-10 mph.  Maple Shade Loop (M).  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

6m easy

Felt surprisingly good at the start of the run - no real lingering soreness or stiffness from yesterday.  However, about 20 minutes into the run, I felt my left knee slowly becoming "numb" - like the IT Band right above the joint starting to act up again.  Didn't get much worse as the run progressed, but will surely have to monitor.  Will try to resume some of my strengthening exercises/foam rolling/yoga again to see if that helps.  May have to cut back on some of the heavy mileage I have been doing.  Otherwise, the run felt fine.

2:30 pm, 31 degrees, 30%, 5-10 mph.  Tavistock.  New Balance 890.

4m recovery ~ 8:00 pace

Did some one-legged deep squats this morning, which helped relieve the IT band tension.  I think the source of the impingement is a weak gluteus/piriformis.  Will work on strengthening the area once the symptoms go away.  Running very slowly this afternoon really helped.  The IT band never really flared, and I was surprised I averaged about 8:00 pace - felt like I was jogging 8:30-:45.  Will definitely start to go slower on my easy days until the symptoms go away.  The true test will be to see how it holds up for tomorrow's long run.

Saturday, January 21st:

7:45 am, 29 degrees, 60%, 5-15mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

14m easy ~ 8:25 average (9:15-7:32), last 4m sub 7:50
2 inches of frozen snow/slush, periods of sleet

Absolutely miserable conditions - thank God for Rich, Colleen, and Ralph who joined in the fun for part or all of the run.  Left knee acted up again from about miles 3-9; seriously considered ending the run at 9 miles.  Magically, everything felt fine the last 4 miles at the faster pace, so I am not sure what to make of it.  Hopefully I will get some gift certificate money to the massage therapist for my upcoming birthday, because I definitely think I need more work on my leg.  Will also try to continue the one-legged squats as they seem to help relieve the tension/friction.  May decide to take an unplanned day off tomorrow if I feel I need it, especially since the weather isn't supposed to be any better.  Ultimately, may need to cut back on doubles/miles/both if this continues.

Sunday, January 22nd:

8:00 am, 20 degrees, 60%, calm.  Haddonfield.  Nike Pegasus 28.

6m easy ~ 7:40 average

Some patches of bad footing from the ice/snow left over from yesterday, but overall felt much better than yesterday.  Felt really strong from miles 4-6.  Very, very mild left leg symptoms - I think I just need to continue strengthening that leg.  It definitely doesn't seem to be getting worse, so that's a plus.  I think I can continue running on it for now unless it becomes painful.  Getting 12 hours of sleep last night helped also. :)

Weekly Total: 67 miles

Monster week with no days off.  Felt surprisingly good on most days and the workouts went well.  Weather was crumby, but I can't really complain.  It's been pretty mild so far this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment