Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Philadelphia Marathon Training, the Rebound

Wednesday, October 19th:

7:30 pm, 64 degrees, 95%, 10-15mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).

3m easy (BOF) - 7:35 average.

So after taking a few days off to recover from last Saturday's marathon, I was eager to see what running would feel like again.  I actually felt like I could have run the past couple days, but I didn't want to rush things any more than I am already doing.  So I went out for an easy jog in the night rain.  I LOVE night rain runs.  I feel like I disappear into the night and that the rain envelops me.

I can't believe how strong and recovered I feel already.  It's like I never ran a marathon on Saturday, or I didn't take a break the last few days.  I picked up right where I left off, which is a good sign since I have already made up my mind to run the Philly marathon in 4 1/2 more weeks.  Tonight I felt like I could run forever.  On November 20th, I will.

Thursday, October 20th:

2:00 pm, 62 degrees, 50%, 15-20mph.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).

5m easy (BOFM) - 7:30 average.

Same story as yesterday - felt like I was going much slower, but the pace was surprisingly easy.  Super windy today, but the effort was very minimal.  Odd combination of stiffness/soreness yet strength in my legs.  Probably still flushing out some lactate, but I feel very smooth in motion.

Friday, October 21st:

5:45 am, 52 degrees, 60%, 10-20 mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Marathon 10.

8m easy (BOF) - 7:30 average.

All the lactate is finally flushed out of the system.  Great to run with the group this morning.  Despite the chill/wind, felt very relaxed and easy.  Conversational pace the whole way. 100% back after 1 week - very happy.

Saturday, October 22nd:

6:00 am, 43 degrees, 90%, calm.  Home-Tavistock (S)-Home.  New Balance 890.

10m easy (BOF) - 7:47 average.

A chilly start to the morning, but a welcome treat!  First time this season I have had to bust out the compression tights and zip-up reflective jacket.  Even started the run with gloves - which is rare for me.

In some ways, I am rather glad that Baltimore turned out the way that it did.  Because my half-marathon was canceled in August, I hadn't run in any "race" situation since June, which is a long time.  Racing 18 miles at Baltimore and then essentially "cooling down" for the last 8 miles gave me the opportunity to have that racing feel without absolutely destroying my body, allowing me to compete at Philly in 4 more weeks.  I have a greater sense of what to expect now, as the memory will be fresh in my mind.  I also now get to extend my training into the part of fall that I cherish - the turning of the leaves, the crisper mornings, the bringing of the year to the end.  I don't think of it so much as a second chance, but a more opportune moment to capitalize on my cycle of fitness.

I find each run now to be an extra blessing, a moment to savor.  Running not just for training's sake, but for the pure enjoyment.  I really enjoyed my 10 mile run by myself this morning, even though it wasn't fast, or difficult, or challenging even.  And I am sure I will enjoy even more the longer run I have planned with some friends for tomorrow.  "Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift, and that is why it's called the present."

Sunday, October 23rd:

6:30 am, 40-46 degrees, 70%, calm.  Pearl Croft-Park-Tavistock-HH-Tavistock.  Adidas Marathon 10 B.

18.5m easy (group pace) - 7:18 average.

Another chilly start, but actually perfect conditions for marathoning.  No wind of which to speak, hardly any sun, comfortable temps once we got moving.  Today was another nice confidence booster.  To get in a solid long run just 8 days after Baltimore is a big plus.  That means I will be able to get in 3 total runs of 18+ miles before tapering for Philly.  It doesn't really make any sense but I feel stronger and stronger with each run.  Of course, having the group to keep me company today eased quite a bit of the load and effort level.  Seeing how well everybody else is training is also a great motivating factor.


Weekly Total: 44.5 miles

Obviously very happy with the recovery/rebound this week.  Taking it day by day, but hoping to add some faster stuff on Wednesday and maybe getting in 65-70 miles next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment