Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Baltimore Marathon Training Week 14

Monday, Sept. 12th:

Day off.  Penelope had a rough night of sleep and I just had no energy to put in any miles this morning.  Plus, I think my body could use some extra rest after yesterday's epic long run workout.

Tuesday, Sept. 13th:

4:55 am, 64 degrees, 95%, 0-5mph.  Kilmer Loop.  New Balance 890.

6m easy - 7:55 average.

Felt much better than yesterday.  No problem getting up, got into a great rhythm after 1m, and finished feeling strong.

Wednesday, Sept. 14th:

4:30 am, 68 degrees, 95%, 0-5mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Run Avant.

1m warm up, 3x2mT w/3:00 jogs (6:04 03, 03 04, 03 05) 3:00 rest, 1.4m cool down

Was supposed to be a 4x2m workout but I bailed after the 3rd rep - massively tired and overheated.  The humidity really affected me today, and my legs just felt so tired/heavy after the 1st rep.  Valiantly battled to finish the 3 reps, which is still a high quality workout.  Can't be too bummed - body just didn't have it today.

Thursday, Sept. 15th:

4:45 am, 66 degrees, 90%, calm.  Maple Shade (L) - Neighborhood.  Adidas Marathon 10 B

8m easy (BOF) - 7:44 average.

Had a mild calf cramp last night - did a bunch of stretching, but it still felt a little tight this morning.  Once I got moving though, I felt incredibly recovered from yesterday - felt like I was holding back most of the run.  Will monitor the cramp - glad to see that yesterday was an anomaly.

Friday, Sept. 16th:

5:15 am, 49 degrees, 75%, 0-10mph.  Cherry Hill West-Pennypacker-Grove St.-Cherry Hill West.  Adidas Marathon 10 B.

9m easy (BOF) - 7:41 average.

You only get one "first cool morning of September" run and I savored every moment of it.  It felt like I came down from altitude training, that's how easy and strong I felt today.  Cool air on the skin, easier to breathe, just a natural state of things.  Forecast calls for a few more of these in the next few days which will be nice, but they can't replicate the feeling of the first one.  Pure bliss.

Saturday, Sept. 17th:

6:00 am, 50 degrees, 75%, 0-5mph.  Pearl Croft-Kingsway-Croft Farm.  New Balance 890.

7m easy (BOF) - 7:45 average.

I didn't feel quite as strong as yesterday, so I mentally backed off the pedal a bit but still almost finished with the same overall average as yesterday.  Got stronger as the run progressed.  I could really get used to these cool mornings.  I would give anything for today's conditions on race day.

Sunday, Sept. 18th:
"The Dress Rehearsal"

6:30 am, 60 degrees, 70%, 0-15mph.  Baltimore.  Adidas Marathon 10 B.

2m warm up, 14MP @ 6:25 average (6:31 30 16 29 29 29 30 30 34 25 24 24 11 15), 2m cool down.

Most people in their right mind don't wake up at 2:30 am, drive an hour and forty-five minutes, run alone for 18 miles in a major US City, and then drive an hour and forty five minutes home.  Especially when it's not even a race.  But that's what I did today - so call me crazy.  When I was finished, however, I was ecstatic about how well the run went.  The conditions were great, a tad breezy at times, but ideal for marathon running.  I mentally survived the challenge of climbing the four miles of hills but found that I quickly recovered and had tons left for the last 10K of the course, most of which is downhill.  I took the fear of the unknown out of the course today, and my performance indicates I might be in even better shape than I think I am.  This obviously doesn't mean that I will ace the course on race day, but it sure helps to know that I have already aced it once during non-race conditions. 

Weekly Total: 57 miles

It is literally all downhill from here.  Seeing the course and taking the mystique out of it was huge.  I feel more than prepared to go out and run a great time.  Now all I need are conditions like today on October 15th and I will have no excuses.

4 weeks to the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment