Monday, September 5, 2011

Baltimore Marathon Training Week 13

Monday, Sept. 6th:

6:30 am, 70 degrees, 90%, 0-10mph.  Hialeah-Valley Run-Kilmer-CH Blvd Loop.  Adidas Marathon 10 B.

9m easy (BOF) - 7:44 average.

Felt absolutely terrible the first 2 miles.  Got an unexpected surge of energy around Mile 4.  From there, just got stronger and stronger until the finish.  Afterward I did 6x strides, which felt awesome.  I think running with music again has really energized training and taking the doldrums out of these everyday easy runs.

Monday, Sept. 6th:

5:00 pm, 82 degrees, 70%, 5-15mph.  Maple Shade Loop (S).  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).

5m easy - 7:42 average.

Okay, I am ready to knock wood.  I am becoming AFRAID of my fitness.  I intentionally ran VERY slowly this afternoon, was holding back the whole run, the last mile felt like I was just striding.  Yet still my easy run pace is getting easier and faster.  I have run 84 miles in 11 runs in 7 days for crying out loud!  I SHOULDN'T feel this good.  So I am doing the reasonable thing and taking tomorrow off before I really do hurt myself.  Go figure.

Tuesday, Sept. 7th:

8:50 pm, 63 degrees, 95%, 10-20mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Run Avant.

2m warm up, 6m progression tempo (6:25 20 16 12 08 02), 2m cool down.

I know, I know.  I was supposed to take today off.  But I realized late this evening that it is supposed to rain non-stop for like the next 48 hours - leaving little chance of getting in my mid-week workout if I didn't do it tonight.  Which wouldn't have been half bad if I hadn't already eaten a large bowl of chocolate cookie dough ice cream at 7:30 pm.  You live and learn.  Somehow I did manage to hit all my goal splits - but my stomach was very heavy and I had this constant desire to belch/barf for about 4 of the 6 tempo miles.  Thankfully nothing did come up.  But I definitely won't make that same mistake again.  Ugh.

Wednesday, Sept. 7th:

Day off.  Well-deserved I might add.

Thursday, Sept. 8th:

3:50 pm, 75 degrees, 90%, calm.  Hialeah-Kilmer Loop.  New Balance 890.

7m easy - 7:48 average.

Unexpectedly tired.  Had no energy, little lift in my stride, struggled through the first 5m in the humidity.  Plugged away, found rhythm last 2m and finished strong.  Weird, but sometimes you feel worse after an off day then after 10 days in a row of hard running.  Hoping I feel better tomorrow, because today wasn't fun.

Friday, Sept. 9th:

5:45 am, 70 degrees, 90%, calm.  Moorestown.  New Balance 890.

6m easy - 7:42 average.

I have said this many times before, but what a difference a day makes!  Felt absolutely awesome this morning - like a running assassin.  Felt like I could run forever.  Did 6x strides after and had tons of speed/control.  Feels great to be back in control.

Friday, Sept. 9th:

6:15 pm, 80 degrees, 60%, calm.  Tavistock Loop.  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).

4m easy (Hills) - 7:45 average.

 Very even pace effort on Tavistock Hills (7:50 41 45 42).  Ran an hour after eating dinner (Penny fell asleep so I snuck out when I had the chance), stomach felt a little heavy, but effort felt controlled as I powered up hills.

Saturday, Sept.10th:

5:50 am, 70 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Maple Shade Loop (L).

7m rejuvenation pace - 8:06 average.

In preparation for tomorrow's long run workout, decided to give myself a very easy day and intentionally ran super slow.  Started off at 8:45/mi and progressed down to 7:49/mi.  Took it very nice and easy and just let the pace come.  My legs were very happy with my decision when I finished.

Sunday, Sept. 11th:

7:00 am, 66-70 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Marathon 10.

6m warm up, 10x800m @ 102%MP w/800 recovery jogs, 4m cool down.
Splits: (6:18 7:04 6:16 7:10 6:17 7:09 6:16 7:06 6:18 7:13 6:15 7:03 6:14 7:15 6:15 7:08 6:14 7:14 6:14 7:13)
Overall: 20 miles, 2h 19m, 6:57 average

A run I won't soon forget.  Ran the first 6 miles easy with Tom, Rich, Ron, and John, and then did the workout segment and cool down by myself.  Got into a nice rhythm right from the start - pace felt right, fueling felt right, everything was picture perfect.  Legs started to feel a little tired around the 7th rep but I didn't have to work any harder and I stayed relaxed in my form.  First two miles of the cool down were a little shaky, but once I fueled up again, I felt a surge of energy the last two miles.  Thinking about 9/11 inspired me during those last couple miles as well.  Huge confidence boost for the marathon.

Weekly Total: 68 miles

Two fantastic workouts combined with a bunch of solid easy runs makes for one of the best weeks of the cycle.  Very stoked where I am at right now.  3 more weeks of workouts before the taper - just need to make sure I stay within myself and listen to my body - now is NOT the time be a workout hero.

5 weeks to the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment