Monday, September 1, 2014

Philly Marathon Training, Week 7

Monday, September 1st:

8:15am, 75 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Cinnaminson.  Asics Kayano 19, Adidas Adios Boost.

8mi total, including 5K race 17:46 (8:43, 9:03)

It was a massive soup-fest this morning after an overnight storm.  Felt reasonably comfortable until the halfway point, when my insides started to cook and any breathing became difficult.  Since I knew there was no chance of a decent time today, I ran without a watch and just paced off of effort.  Though I slowed considerably the last 1.1mi, I fought hard and didn't give up any places, finishing 6th OA and 2nd AG (30-39 yr olds).  I'll take it as a hard workout, setting me up nicely for the Philly Half in 3 weeks.

Tuesday, September 2nd:

5:25am, 75 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Hialeah-Kilmer-Hialeah.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

8mi easy (1:05:51) (8:14/mi)

Sluggish the first few miles, very heavy air to breathe this morning.  Felt better the second half of the run, finished strong with a 7:30 last mile.

Wednesday, September 3rd:

8:25 pm, 80 degrees, 48%, calm.  Merchantville-Maple Ave-Neighborhood.  Asics Kayano 19.

8mi easy (1:01:24) (7:41/mi)

Easy progression from 8:06-7:16/mi.  Felt incredibly strong the last 3mi, focused on pulling with hands and faster/lighter turnover.  Just one of those nights where everything clicked.

Thursday, September 4th:

4:55am, 64 degrees, 90%, calm.  CH Blvd - Kilmer Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

6.5mi easy (54:40) (8:25/mi)

My legs were pretty heavy and tired for this one.  Should have expected as much on the quick turnaround and shorter night's rest.  But I didn't have the option to go out tonight so I had to sneak it in early before work.  Didn't fight the slow pace, just took it for what it was.

Friday, September 5th:

8:30am, 72-76 degrees, 98-87%, calm.  CHW - CH Blvd loop.  CHW Loop.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17, Adidas Adios Boost.

12.5mi (1:27:36), including 7mi MP 6:20/avg (6:24 17 20 19 20 19 17)

I am not sure where it came from, but I had "it" today.  Like the last several days, it was again unseasonably hot/humid.  I jogged the warmup very slowly, but I felt strong on the strides.  Once I started the tempo, I had to keep holding back.  Went through the first 1/2mi too quickly, but then settled into a good rhythm.  I made very sure to stay hydrated/fueled, so I took Gatorade at 2mi/5mi of the tempo segment, and took a gel at 3mi.  I kept fearing I would overheat but it never happened.  I actually ran with a ziplock bag of crushed ice on the inside of my cap during the warmup, and I think that really helped keep me cool.  I poured out the cold melted water in my cap and wore it during the workout.  I was soaked all over when I was finished, but I felt like I could go another several miles if I wanted.  Great feeling today.

Saturday, September 6th:

7:00am, 75 degrees, 92%, 0-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

9.5mi (1:22:47) (8:43/mi)

Ran with Ed H., Dave H., and John M. for the first 7mi @ 9:05/mi pace.  Finished in 7:48 36 3:46 for the last 2.5mi.  I again used the ziplock bag of crushed ice under my hat, which really helped.  The easy pace did wonders also.  Felt great those last few miles picking up the pace.

Sunday, September 7th:

7:35am, 67-70 degrees, 68-58%, 5-15mph.  Manayunk-MLK-Belmont-Strawberry Mansion-Kelly-MLK.  Adidas Glide 6 Boost.

18.5mi total (2:10:04): 3mi easy, 14mi moderate 6:43/avg (6:52-:34), 1.5mi easy

What a difference a day makes!  Dewpoint was down to 54 after yesterday's 73.  Also christened a new pair of shoes, which felt amazing right out of the box.  Worked into the tempo portion the first 3mi with JP, and then had another 2mi of hills after that.  Had a tailwind and a surge of energy on Kelly Drive, especially after passing a runner with this quote on her shirt:

"Somebody once told me never to bite off more than I could chew.  I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble at mediocrity."

Once I swung around the Art Museum and back onto MLK, though, I ran into a steady 10-15mph headwind and found myself working harder to maintain the same pace/rhythm.  But I settled in again, splitting 6:42 43 34 the last three miles.  Great practice in patience, relaxing, and focusing on form/breathing.  Had some Gatorade at miles 4.5/13, water at 9, and energy gel 20 minutes before the run and at miles 6/11.5.  Despite fueling decently, I still felt like I could have used some more water the last few miles, as I was maintaining well even though I could feel myself starting to overheat.  Nonetheless, a little slice of runner's heaven this morning.

Weekly Total: 71 miles

In spite of the weather, I laid down what was unarguably my best calendar week of running ever.  It's not like I have never had the ability to do these three sessions before; but to tackle them all in one calendar week and still feel strong at the end of it is definitely new territory for me.  Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow and a lighter load this week.  Just two weeks to the half-way point of this cycle and my half-marathon simulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment