Monday, May 26, 2014

Summer 2014 Base Training, Week 4

Monday, May 26th:

6:15am, 62 degrees, 77%, 5-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  New Balance 1260v2.

7mi slow

Legs were very heavy from all the weekend activities in Wildwood (running, walking the zoo, walking the boardwalk, playing at the park, etc.).  Didn't try to push the effort it all, just kept it at a slow trudge.  Right hamstring was a little tight the last couple miles, but felt fine after hydrating and stretching.  Definitely taking at least one more easy day tomorrow to re-energize.

Tuesday, May 27th:

5:20am, 67 degrees, 66%, calm.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

4mi easy

My allergies were really acting up yesterday and this morning, making it a little tough to breathe.  Good news, though, is my legs felt a little better than yesterday and I got into a decent rhythm after the first mile.

7:20pm, Treadmill, 1.0% incline.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi easy (32:28) (8:07/mi).  Strides.

Very warm in the back porch with humid thunderstorms going on outside.  Kept the pace a bit slower than usual to adjust to the temps.  Didn't feel great at the start, but was really clicking the last 1.5mi.   Hopefully the storm will pass tonight and I will be able to get back outside by tomorrow morning.

Wednesday, May 28th:

4:40am, 67 degrees, 93%, calm.  Home-CHW-Home.  Saucony Cortana 3.

8mi, including 2x (8x200m w/200m slow jogs), 400m jog between sets

Very warm, humid morning.  Kept the warmup and cooldown both very slow.  Ran all of the 200s in the same manner based on effort - 5k effort the first 100m, sprint for 50m, coast to a jog the last 50m.  Started feeling a "buzz" the last 4 reps or so.  Felt good to get the turnover going again, but the conditions were definitely tough.

Thursday, May 29th:

6:20pm, 60 degrees, 66%, 0-5mph.  Kilmer Loop.  Mizuno Wave Rider 17.

6mi easy

Didn't feel too great on this one.  Long day on the home front, with Janine having jury duty and Frankie having a fever flu.  Still, I was happy just to get out the door, accept whatever pace felt comfortable, and get my run in.  A workman-like effort today.

Friday, May 30th:

6:00am, 56 degrees, 85%, 0-5mph.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4mi easy

Much, much better this morning after a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee beforehand.  Had much stronger pushoff and established a good rhythm early in the run and maintained it until the end.

11:35am, 63 degrees, 63%, 0-5mph.  2x Neighborhood Loop.  New Balance 1260v2.

4mi easy.  Strides.

Another smooth run.  Practiced something different with the strides today, similar to the 200s on Wednesday.  Instead of running 100m at a controlled fast effort (mile-5k pace effort), I ran the first 30m controlled, the middle 40m a near sprint, the last 30m decelerating to a coast.  Took a little longer recovery between each, felt great.  Trying to practice hitting top-end speed more often, even if only briefly, just to see if I can recruit some more fast twitch fibers and improve my running economy.

Saturday, May 31st:

6:15am, 60 degrees, 68%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

15mi, with 10mi easy, 6x 2:00 "on"/2:00 "off" (5:50/7:31 avg), 1.3mi easy

Fabulous run.  Ran the first 10mi very easy with Colleen.  Worked out that it was a perfect progression from 8:42-7:31/mi, although the effort felt the same the entire way.  The time just flew by with Colleen's story of moving back to Moorestown and my story of how I came to work for Sapienza Dental.  I was able to really focus on the "on"/"off" segments, which felt hard but controlled - true tempo style.  Was also treated to Colleen and Anita's homemade smoothies afterward, which was great.  I also really like the Powergels I tried out today, Strawberry-Banana and Green Apple.  More liquid-y than Gu's and a touch more calories per serving.  Took one at 4mi and one at 10mi.  All in all, a great session.

Sunday, June 1st:

8:30am, 62 degrees, 65%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  New Balance 1260v2.

8mi very easy

Lovely conversational pace run with JP, Terry, and Colleen.  Almost felt like we were walking - I think I heard 8:04-8:08/mi for the overall average, but on enjoyable runs like this, who cares what the pace is?

Weekly Total: 60 miles

Another workman-like week for me.  Didn't feel great everyday, but I still find time to fit everything in and enjoy it.  Saturday's long run session was a very great sign that I am getting my strength back.  And I am really enjoying my time that I get with the group - great energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment