Monday, November 18, 2013

Fall 2013 Base Training, Week 9

Monday, November 18th:

Rest.  Quads are pretty beat up from 22+ miles and 3+ hours on my feet yesterday.  As much fun as I had running with everybody in Philly, I now distinctly remember why I don't run 20+ miles in training anymore! :)

Tuesday, November 19th:

6:00pm, 41 degrees, 46%, 5-10mph.  Merchantville Loop.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

5mi recovery - (8:11)

Legs are still a little sore/tight from Sunday, but much better than yesterday.  Kept the pace very easy.  Might wait until Thursday/Friday to do any other quality stuff.

Wednesday, November 20th:

8:20pm, 31 degrees, 46%, calm.  Moorestown and back.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

10mi easy - (7:41): including 8x1:00 pickups (6:00-:40/mi pace) during each of the middle 8 miles

Cold, cold night for running.  Mixed things up by throwing in 1:00 surges at the start of each of the middle 8 miles - nothing crazy, just focused surges ~HM-MP.  My left calf/soleus cramped a little bit during the last couple miles - did a lot of stretching and rolling afterward.  I think I was partly dehydrated and just partly fatigued from running late at night.  Will be sure to take it easy tomorrow.

Thursday, November 21st:

12:30pm, 51 degrees, 55%, 5-10mph.  Cooper River Golf Course-Garden State-Home.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

7.5mi easy - (7:46)

I was a little cool in shorts today with the wind and cloud cover.  Deceptively cool out.  Maintained a pretty steady pace (7:56-:33) throughout, even mixing up some running on the grass along Cooper River.  Still getting my legs back under me from the weekend.  Might try some MP running tomorrow.

Friday, November 22nd:

5:00am, 47 degrees, 85%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown and back.  Saucony Cortana 3.

10mi total: 2mi warmup, 2x 2.5mi Goal Marathon Pace (GMP) w/1mi recovery jog (6:24, 22), 2mi cooldown

Finally got my legs turning back over again.  The effort probably felt more like current half-marathon pace (HMP) effort, which is okay at this point.  I have heard Dathan Ritzenheim say that he "walks around" in 14:00 5K shape, meaning that in the offseason without having done any specific training, he can roll out bed and run a 14:00 5K.  By the end of the season, he is running low to mid 27s for 10K, meaning his specific training gets him to extend his ability twice as far.  I think I "walk around" in about 1:24 half-marathon shape, and my hope is that I can extend that ability to twice that distance by the end of my next cycle and put me in that 2:47-:48 marathon range.

One encouraging sign today is that I was really able to attack Heller's Hill at the start of the last mile putting on a really nice surge.  Had been averaging ~6:25/mi pace for the first 1.5mi of the second interval and then probably closed about 6:18/mi pace or so for that last mile.

2:55pm, 57 degrees, 73%, 5-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Saucony Cortana 3.

"Beer 1/2 mile" in 3:45.

So I am thinking about jumping in the team's annual Beer Mile on Thanksgiving this year.  Since I don't even drink beer, I figured I better practice.  I have a 1/4 mile loop around my block so I just had my wife time me (without laughing too hard).  I didn't have a hard time guzzling the first one at all.  After the first 50 meters of belching 2 or 3 times, I settled into fast running with no problem.  The difficulty came in drinking the subsequent beer when breathing hard.  I could only get in a few gulps at a time and wasted a lot of precious seconds drinking the second beer.  The good news is, I can still run very fast afterward.  As long as I don't give the leaders too much of a lead, I am hoping to at least be in podium contention.  If I break 8 minutes without puking I would be thrilled.  :)

Saturday, November 23rd:

6:15am, 39 degrees, 56%, 15-20mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Supernova Glide 5.

10mi easy - (7:31)

Cold, windy morning.  Met at Tom's house with Colleen for a faster pace easy run.  Took me a couple miles to settle down at that pace - clearly their easy pace is naturally faster than mine.  Legs also felt a bit heavy this morning.  Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder/windier, so I will probably use it as an opportunity to run very slowly and get my legs back under me again.

3:30pm, 44 degrees, 36%, 10-20mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Pegasus 29 USATF.

4.5mi easy - (7:51): including 4x :20 strides after + :39 beer chug

I am planning on incorporating short doubles into my next training cycle and figured today would be a good day to start.  I also tried chugging a beer after finishing my strides to again try to get used to drinking while breathing harder.  I am hoping I can keep the first beer to :20 seconds and the 2nd/3rd/4th beer to :30-:35 seconds.  I figure if I spend 2:00-2:15 drinking beer, I have to run a 5:45-6:00 mile to break 8:00.  Should be interesting.

Sunday, November 24th:

8:00am, 25 degrees, 28%, 25-40mph!  Moorestown.  Adidas Adizero Boston 3.

12.5mi easy - (8:01)

Brutal conditions this morning!  Most of it was manageable but man, when the gusts kicked up, it was rough.  Thankfully I had Ashley to keep me company.

Weekly Total: 60 miles

Solid week.  Next week will be a planned down week with Thanksgiving, and then hopefully I will start formal workouts the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment