Monday, December 31, 2012

Gettysburg Marathon Training, Week 2

Monday, December 31st:

7:30 am, 30 degrees, 55%, 5-10mph.  Kilmer-Hialeah Loop.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi easy - (7:56)

Slept late for me today (7:00 am).  First mile was really slow (8:27), but then picked it up from there.  Worked the hills a little, cruised everything else.  Nice way to end the year.

Tuesday, January 1st:
Happy New Year!

7:15 am, 37 degrees, 75%, 5-10mph.  Cherry Hill West.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

10mi total - (7:17): 2mi warmup, 6mi@MP, 2mi cooldown
Goal paces: 8:10-:40/mi for warmup/cooldown; 6:40/mi for MP
Actual splits: 8:21 15, 6:44 40 37 33 37 34, 8:12 19

Excellent first marathon pace run of the cycle.  Settled in to a pretty steady rhythm after 1.5mi, and felt really strong after taking a Gu halfway through the tempo segment.  Had to temper my enthusiasm a few times on the last couple miles.  It also took me about a 1/2mi of the cooldown to slow down enough to hit recovery pace.  Felt super strong at the finish.

*Note: Left achilles/calf had a little tightness the last 2mi or so of the tempo segment.  It didn't affect my running, but I was aware of it.  Didn't feel it at all on the cooldown.  Did some extra light stretching after the run but will monitor.

Wednesday, January 2nd:

7:30 pm, 29 degrees, 45%, 5-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (M).  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

6mi easy - (8:01)

Felt like I was walking the whole way.  Felt so easy this evening in the nice crisp air.  No traces of achilles/calf soreness in the left leg today.

Thursday, January 3rd:

7:45 pm, 31 degrees, 50%, 5-10mph.  Garden State-Maple Ave. Loop-Garden State.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

7mi easy - (7:52)

Started slow and let the pace come.  Had to keep myself in check the last 3 miles or so.  Can't get over how easy these runs feel.

Friday, January 4th:

8:45 am, 34 degrees, 50%, 5-15mph.  Cherry Hill West.  Adidas Adizero Tempo 4.

9mi total - (7:27): 2.25mi warmup, 6x800m w/400 jogs, 2.25mi cooldown

Target warmup/cooldown paces: 8:10-:40
Actual warmup/cooldown paces: 8:23, 8:27
Target 800m splits: 2:50
Actual 800m splits: 2:49 50 50 50 50 48
Target 400m splits: 2:05-:10
Actual 400m splits: 2:09 06 08 07 06 10

So this was the first time I really felt the density of the Hanson's Marathon Method.  Not sure if it was the quick turnaround from last night's run, the 15mph gusts on the back stretches of each lap, or the designed cumulative fatigue of the program, but I really felt the effort today after running effortlessly on easy runs the last two days.  First 3 reps were very manageable, but I started the 4th rep with an opening 40 second 200m, which put me into lactic fatigue rather quickly for the rep, and I felt it at around 500m into the last two reps.  The good news is I ran the last 800m entirely on feel (although definitely pushing it) and came in under the goal time.  I honestly probably had only 1 more solid rep in me at that pace before my form would completely start to break down.

I felt much better after the slow cooldown jog, but it's intimidating as of right now to think that on Sunday I am scheduled for 10mi at 7:10-:20/mi pace.  Will definitely stick to the slow end of the recovery pace spectrum for tomorrow, and now I am already looking forward to Monday's scheduled off day.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow, as this plan is definitely a day by day plan! :)

Saturday, January 5th:

7:00 am, 30 degrees, 60%, 5-10mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 29 Shield.

8mi recovery - (8:24): 9:10 8:38 34 15 11 13 08 06

Felt so much better than yesterday.  Ran the first 3.5mi with Ed Henry and Dave Huttinger, which kept the pace honestly slow.  I gradually picked it up from there and finished very strong the last 3 miles.  Again, pacing was so critical today and I feel much more prepared now heading into tomorrow's moderate run.


Sunday, January 6th:

7:15 am, 32 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Cinnaminson.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

1.3mi easy - (7:35)

Planned a group run with Mike, Tom, and Rich from Tom's house.  Aborted the run because of black ice - I could feel it affect my stride and I couldn't safely accomplish the goal of the day's run, which was to run moderate pace (7:10-:20/mi).

10:15 am, 36-40 degrees, 70%, 0-5mph.  Hialeah-Valley Run-Kilmer-Hialeah-Neighborhood.  Brooks Ravenna 3.

9.7mi moderate - (7:08): 7:11 04 07 08 10 Gu 04 12 09 08 06

Abandoning the run this morning was the best running decision I have made in awhile (after taking on Larry as my pseudo-coach, of course!).  I am not sure if it was the extra calories I got in with a "second" breakfast, the beautiful weather today once the ice was melted, or the second cup of coffee I had this morning, but today was the single best day I have felt as a runner since coming back from the injury.  I couldn't force myself to run slow enough.  My rhythm was impeccable.  I handled the rolling sections with ease.  Everything about the run was perfect.  Instead of feeling like the last 10 miles of the marathon, it felt like the first 10 miles after having tapered for a few days.  Felt incredibly fresh with an abundance of energy.  Fabulous way to cap off the week!

Weekly Total: 58 miles

I am already a believer in the Hansons.  I am already a believer in Larry.  And most importantly, I am again a full believer in myself.  Having said all that, the most important lesson I learned this week is to focus on the task at hand for that day only.  I got through Friday's speed workout but felt tired and started worrying about Sunday.  I ran a really slow recovery run on Saturday at the proper pace and felt re-energized.  I focused on keeping a steady rhythm on Sunday and let the pace handle itself.  Just like you have to stay in the moment during the early miles of the marathon and not get ahead of yourself, you really have to look at daily training the same way.  Focus on today and worry about tomorrow when it gets here.  When tomorrow comes, you'll be ready.

2 comments:

  1. I've been out of the running loop since I bailed on my marathon. Shame, I suppose.

    Glad to see you training for a marathon after that injury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shame in taking time off. It's actually a great time of year to take time off so you don't have to fight the holidays, plus you get the bonus of New Year, new goals.

    I have a pseudo-coach who is guiding me through this cycle, which is highly derivative of the Hansons' Marathon Method. Hopefully he can help keep me in check and stay healthy. So far, so good. :)

    ReplyDelete