Sunday, February 12, 2012

Broad Street Training, Week 3

Monday, January 30th:

Unplanned day off.  Woke up too tired to even think about running.  Went back to bed and got extra sleep.  I think that whenever my body needs a day off, I am going to take it.  No need for overkill right now.

Tuesday, January 31st:

5:10 am, 39 degrees, 60%, 0-10mph.  Maple Shade Loop (L).  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

7m easy

Aerobically felt very strong, but still mentally/physically tired from a long day at work yesterday.  I was so out of it that I ended up running a mile more than I had originally planned by making an extra turn and doing the long loop.  Finished feeling strong anyway, but most of the run was a foggy blur.

Wednesday, February 1st:
Happy Birthday to me!

4:45 am, 52 degrees, 50%, 0-10mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Dual Fusion ST 2.

2m warm up, 4mT (5:58 6:00 5:57 6:00), 2m cool down

Felt terrible when I woke up and during the warm up.  Didn't have high expectations for the workout, so it was a nice surprise I was able to hammer out a very solid solo effort.  Had to work a little harder than I wanted to, and was pretty tired at the end, but it is nice to know I can handle duress for an extended period of time without losing form.  I guess I am not THAT old yet. :)

7:40 pm, 59 degrees, 60%, 0-5mph.  Neighborhood.  Nike Run Avant.

3m recovery pace

Felt like I was floating the whole time.  Even with recently devoured birthday cake still sitting in my tummy.  What a day!  :)

Thursday, February 2nd:

3:55 pm, 48 degrees, 60%, 5-15mph.  Kilmer School-Hialeah-CHW-Hialeah-Kilmer.  Nike Pegasus 28.

8m easy ~ 7:30 average

Felt so natural and easy.  Ran through some of the old neighborhoods I ran through in high school - I felt so smooth like I did way back when.  Brought back great memories.  Ultra-positive vibes.

Friday, February 3rd:

3:55 am, 35 degrees, 60%, 0-10mph.  Garden State-Ellis Circle-Garden State.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

8m recovery progression (BOF) ~ 7:55 average (8:25-7:35).

Couldn't sleep, so I got my run in very early.  So peaceful and quiet in the early AM.  Had the streets almost to myself.  Felt great the whole way, just let the pace come.  I just realized that I have been running without ANY pain (knees, heel, hips) every run since Monday, my last day off.  I feel my form really taking shape, which I think is a large part of the positive energy.  Just feel so free and natural when I run now - very uncluttered.

2:50 pm, 44 degrees, 40%, 0-10mph.  Kilmer School-Valley Run-Knollwood.  Nike Run Avant.

4m easy progression (BOF) ~ 7:45 average (8:00-7:30).

First 1/2m felt so slow, and the entire run I felt like I was walking.  Just shocking to see how easy the feel of these second runs are becoming.  Another shockingly beautiful afternoon in February.

Saturday, February 4th:

1:30 pm, 48 degrees (overcast), 40%, 0-5mph.  JP's Belmont Loop.  Nike Pegasus 28.

3m warm up, 30:00 @ 6:37, 10:00 @ 6:09, 15:00 @ 6:36, 2.6m cool down.

Considering the topography of this course, today was one hell of a workout and a great indicator of my overall strength.  The first M-pace segment started at the base of Lansdowne Ave, so the first quarter mile was literally uphill.  There was the long, winding hill up Belmont Ave during the second mile, and the third mile was fast as it was down the long descent of Chaminoux.  But mile 4 included the killer up and down loop before crossing the bridge into Strawberry Mansion and going up one last hill on the left after the bridge.  The tempo segment actually felt more comfortable as it was purposely on all-flat terrain.  Locked into a nice rhythm during that 10 minute portion, which was a nice preview of almost Broad Street pace.  The second, shorter M-pace segment was a true test in fortitude.  The double climb up Ford Ave and then Chaminoux just didn't seem to ever end, and by the time I got to the top, my lungs were burning.  But the segment ended with the forgiving downhill of Belmont Ave, which gave the impression of an easier run than it actually was.  Great course design by Jim Price.  Very happy with how well I handled the workout, how comfortable I felt most of the way, and how unafraid I was to attack when I needed to and back off when I needed to.

Sunday, February 5th:

8:00 am, 36 degrees (overcast), 60%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  Nike Structure Triax 15 Shield.

10m easy ~ 7:23 average

Nice medium long run with John and Tom.  Surprisingly strong and fresh after yesterday's long workout.  Can just feel myself getting stronger and stronger.  Really enjoying running right now.

Weekly Total: 62 miles

Both of the workouts were very solid.  Easy and recovery runs becoming easier and faster.  Just feel myself gaining more and more strength.  And most importantly, no areas of pain right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment