Monday, August 8, 2011

Baltimore Marathon Training Week 9

Monday, August 8th:

6:20 am, 77 degrees, 85%, 0-10 mph.  Cinnaminson-Moorestown.  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).

10m easy - 7:34 average.

My office is closed this week, so I have the opportunity to run with the group from Monday-Thursday before we head down to the shore for the weekend.  It was great to have the company for today's 10 miler, but the pace that Rich/Tom set was a bit faster than what I am used to on my easy days and my legs surely felt it the last 3 miles.  Very high humidity this morning, which is supposed to improve for the rest of the week.  Rich and I agreed that we'll run an easier pace tomorrow, so that we can be fully recovered for Wednesday's workout.  Today was my 11th day of running in a row, and I am not scheduled for a break until next Tuesday.  Starting to feel the effects, but also slowly starting to feel the strength that comes with it.

Tuesday, August 9th:

5:45 am, 72 degrees, 80%, calm.  Moorestown.  Saucony C2.

8m easy - 7:50 average.

Legs still felt heavy.  I started the run with the group but let them go from the beginning.  Stuck to my own comfortable pace and worked my way through the run.  Finished strong the last two miles.  Glad I didn't try to keep up with the group - hopefully I gave myself the best chance to be fresh for tomorrow's workout.

Wednesday, August 10th:

5:45 am, 72 degrees, 80%, calm.  Moorestown.  Nike Run Avant.

2.25m warm up, 4x2000m (roads), 2.75m cool down
Splits: (7:23 18 16 15), Paces: (5:54 49 48 47)

Felt very recovered for today's session, and it went extremely well.  Took the warm up very nice and easy, and used the first rep to break into the pace of the workout.  Had John, Rich, and Tom to run with, so it was a luxury to let them do the work for reps 2 and 3.  Had tons left on the last rep, but held it in reserve for another day.  Finished feeling very strong.  The cool down was easy peasy.  Perfect workout.

Thursday, August 11th:

5:45 am, 70 degrees, 65%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown.  Adidas Marathon 10.

10m easy - 7:41 average.

Can't believe how strong I felt after yesterday's workout.  The cooler temps made a huge difference - felt like I was running the effort of 8:00/mi the whole way, but I averaged 7:48 the first 5m and 7:35 the second 5m.  Easy, casual effort - conversational pace with Rich.  And this on Day 14 of 18 in a row!  Almost halfway through the marathon cycle, and I can really feel myself turning the corner.


8:00 pm, 80 degrees, 40%, 0-10mph.  Wildwood.  New Balance 890.

7m rejuvenation - 9:56 average.

Call me crazy for doubling today, but it was as much to pace my stepfather, Jimmy, for his 7m easy pace run as it was to avoid running 7m by myself tomorrow morning.  My legs were incredibly heavy for most of the run, but the scene was terrific - we ran along the coast of the beach at night time, gulls cawing, waves crashing into the surf, running along the stone wall that hugs the beach, moon shining bright down on us.  The pace really was rejuvenating.  We finished with a solid 8:58 last mile, so I know the turnover was still there, even after 17 total miles today.  Doing some quick math, the running total for my last 7 days is 79 miles - destroying my old record of 72!  I am glad I got the run in this evening - I actually will take a day off this crazy week after all.  I really need it!

Friday, August 12th:

Day of rest.  My body feels broken, but mending.  Can't wait for the hardest run of the cycle tomorrow!

Saturday, August 13th:

5:45 am, 65-70 degrees, 80-85%, calm.  Wildwood.  Adidas Marathon 10.

18m at 90%-95% goal marathon pace (6:45-7:05).
Actual splits: (7:05 6:55 7:00 6:59 48 45 41 48 51 49 51 45 50 50 46 49 44 47)
Total average: 6:50

Besides the half-marathon race in two weeks, this should be by far the most difficult run of the marathon training cycle.  This workout is very hard for several reasons: it comes at the end of the longest training week, it was a solo effort, the zone to stay in is not fast but certainly faster than easy pace, the duration of the run is daunting, the effort nears marathon effort - certainly for the last 4 miles.  I'll cut the description short by saying I am very glad with the end result, and I know I will be a much better marathoner having done today's workout, but I went somewhere those last 4 miles I have never been to before.  I know I will be even more mentally and physically stronger the next time I visit that place again.

Sunday, August 14th:

2:50 am, 80 degrees, 70%, 10-20mph.  Wildwood.  New Balance 890.

6m rejuvenation pace - 8:56 average.

A Run in Three Acts:

1) Wake up early to beat the impending rain storm that is supposed to start at 4:00 am and pummel the area for the 24 hours.  I can barely get myself out of bed, physically.  I convince myself that no matter how long it takes me today, I am going to get in 6 miles and end the week at 70 miles, as planned.  I have done too much work this week to fall short now.

2) I stumble out into the darkness and shuffle for the first mile.  My watch beeps: 10:13 for the first mile.  Do not laugh.  At this point, I feel like one of those runners I saw competing in the 20-in-24 race a couple weeks ago, willing their broken bodies ahead when all common sense said they shouldn't be.  I head along the rock wall and start feeling semi-human again.  Mile two, 9:06.  Getting there.  I turn around and head toward the boardwalk, passing one couple making out, an elderly couple holding hands and watching the ocean, and several small groups of obviously drunk young women wandering around in the darkness.  One of them sees me and yells, "Go faster, runner dude, go faster!"  At least Forrest Gump's name is not invoked.

3) I now notice the circling light of a nearby lighthouse scanning just over my head every 10 seconds or so.  I pretend I am a fugitive busting out of prison, and my pace gets quicker every mile.  8:45.  8:26.  I make it to the boardwalk and meet other late-nighters searching for a destination, stumbling over feet.  I am almost at mile 5 when I approach a drunk reveler who is amazed I am out running at this hour.  He says, "You gotta give me a high five, dude, it's like 3:30 in the morning!"  I reach out as we pass and my middle 3 fingers just manage to graze his middle 3 fingers.  He turns to his buddy, "That dude gave me a high five - did you see that!"  This strange encounter energizes me even more.  I drop an 8:15 last mile.  Sweet painful bliss.  I get in the house, change out of my clothes, and slip back into bed for a few more hours.  I wake up wondering if I dreamt the whole thing, but my Garmin dutifully recorded the early hour adventure.  Curtain closes.

Weekly Total: 70 miles (!) 

What a long, strange trip this week has been.  Four double-digit runs, two mind-blowing workouts, two snail pace runs, 41 miles in a 72 hour stretch, and one ravaged, broken body.  I survived the hardest week and two week stretch of the cycle.  Anything else at this point will seem trivial. 

2 weeks to the half marathon, 9 weeks to the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment