Sunday, June 19, 2011

Baltimore Marathon Training Week 1

Monday, June 13th:
Day one - the promise of a new beginning.
5:05 am, 64 degrees, 75% humidity, 10-15 mph wind.  Maple Shade loop - long version.  Saucony C2.

8m easy - 8:08 average.  Ran based on feel (BOF) - meaning, I didn't check my watch until the run was over.  Recovery from yesterday's 14 mile long run.  Felt pretty relaxed and smooth - thought I was moving faster than I was, but hey, that's what easy runs are for and it is only day one.  No need to get ahead of myself.  18 weeks to go.

Tuesday, June 14th:
Scheduled off day.  Sundays are usually my long run days, Monday is always my long day at work, so Tuesday is the day I almost always take off.  My most important training day of the week.

Wednesday, June 15th:
5:00 am, 56 degrees, 75% humidity, 0-5mph wind.  Home-Valley Run-Knollwood-Valley Run-Home.  Nike Run+Avant.

1.5m warmup, 6m alternating tempo run (.25m@6:05/mi, .75m@6:40/mi), 1.5m cooldown.  My actual pace splits for each segment (6:00 38, 02 40, 04 36, 03 38, 00 38, 04 39)

The goal of this workout is to improve my body's ability to clear lactate.  Because the "recovery" periods were long, I felt pretty in control throughout the run and the pickups were very manageable.  You will see me use this style of workout every other week with the hard segments getting faster and longer and the recovery segments getting faster and shorter.  Two weeks before my half marathon, I will essentially need to "average" 8 miles at goal half-marathon pace.  I prefer not to think about that right now.

Thursday, June 16th:
4:55 am, 62 degrees, 80%, calm.  Maple Shade loop - medium version.  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Red).


6m easy - 7:57 average.  There was nothing easy about this morning's run.  I felt exhausted, legs heavy/tired, just couldn't get myself moving.  I know there are going to be many runs like this during the marathon cycle, but I was hoping they wouldn't start on day four.

2:30 pm, 78 degrees, 40%, 5-10 mph.  Merchantville Loop (Short).  Nike Pegasus 27+ (Blue).

4m easy - 7:34 average.  Literal night and day difference from this morning.  Guess that afternoon cup of coffee at 12:30 pm was a good pick me up.  Glad my first double turned out successful, especially after this morning's disaster.

Friday, June 17th:
5:45 am, 68 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Moorestown High School.  Adidas Marathon 10.

7m easy - 7:30 average.  Joined some of my friends for their morning workout.  We did the first two miles together, they did their workout while I got in 3 more easy miles, and then I joined Tom Elliott on the track for 5x200m (40 seconds) with 400m easy jog recoveries.  The pick-me ups were an effortless way to add quality running on an easy day.  Finished feeling fresh.

Skipped my afternoon easy run and took a nap instead.  Sometimes you just have to listen to your body.  I didn't feel guilty since I got some bonus quality running in this morning and I want to make sure I give myself enough recovery time between my workouts this cycle.

Saturday, June 18th:
 7:30 am, 75 degrees, 70%, 0-10mph.  Moorestown Store Run - long version.  Saucony C2.

8m easy - 7:30 average.  Nice conversational pace with John Denning and Rich Wojnar.  Legs were a little heavy the last couple miles, but shortening my stride and increasing turnover quickly alleviated the discomfort.  Feel refreshed for tomorrow's workout.

Sunday, June 19th:
Father's Day
5:00 am, 66 degrees, 90%, 0-5mph.  Home-Garden State-Cooper River-Garden State-Home.  Adidas Marathon 10.

3m easy, 6m @ 6:15/mi, 3m easy

Actual tempo segment mile splits (6:15 10 11 10 12 10).  Had to work a lot harder than I wanted to - due mostly I believe to the high humidity.  Still, I did get into a pretty solid rhythm from mile 1.5-4.5.  Legs were pretty heavy on the cooldown, but was able to comfortably maintain 7:30 pace.  Also wore my new Road ID bracelet the girls got me for Father's Day.  Frankie asked me when I got home if it made me faster.  I told her that it makes me stronger, even when I am weak.  She smiled.

12:30 pm, 80 degrees, 45%, 5-10 mph.  Neighborhood loop.  Nike Lunarfly.

2m easy - 8:14 average.  Decided to do an easy shakeout run after this morning's tough tempo.  Glad I did.  Second mile felt smooth and got in some quality stretching after.

Weekly Total: 56 miles

A few bumps here and there, but finished my first week in one piece and got in some nice quality workouts.  10 more weeks to half marathon.  17 weeks to marathon.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I like how you log weather conditions with precision. I want to start doing this.

    B. I am going to start adding doubles once I fix my current calf owie. (Short story: I'm an idiot. Long version in my blog.)

    iii. Rest is the hardest. That's why I am currently alternating compression calf sleeves and ice. :(

    ReplyDelete